|Japanese Name||成見 亜里紗|
Arisa Narumi (成見 亜里紗 Narumi Arisa) is one of the main characters in Puella Magi Suzune Magica. She is the secondary protagonist for the first two thirds of the story.
- Height: 156.2 cm
- Weight: 45.8 kg
- Blood type: B
- Eye colour: Pink
- Hair colour: Pink
- Soul gem: Pink heart worn on the back of her magical girl costume.
- Japanese pronoun: Atashi (あたし); Watashi (私) pre-wish
- Wish: "I want to become stronger! I want to stand up to all of them!"
Arisa is self-confident yet hotheaded, and tends to be rather brash. In the past, she used to be more self-deprecating and timid, wearing a more demure hairstyle to suit, but gained her self-confidence yet hotheadedness some time after making her wish. However, while Arisa kept up a confident facade, she was depressed because she was lonely; that is, until she met Chisato and eventually became one of the Yunagi magical girls, where she grew out of her loneliness thanks to her new friendships. Despite her haughty attitude, Arisa can be kind and caring at times, although she sometimes displays reluctance at this. She also appears to be rather laid-back and lazy, though she seems to love fights.
Not much is known of Arisa's home-life. Her mother is known to be alive.
She used to be a victim of bullying, being bullied by a trio of girls led by Mika Nishinaka. The girls did things like stuffing trash in and writing graffiti on Arisa's desk, stealing her money, and beating her up. Arisa appeared to not to have help from anyone, with people apparently avoiding her and outright saying they were glad that she was being targeted instead of them, despite pitying her and showing sympathy. When approached by Kyubey, Arisa asked for the strength to stand up to the bullies, and thus confronted and drove them off with a display of her strength. Arisa then proceeded to put them in the hospital as revenge; it can be assumed that they left her alone after that.
However, Arisa became more troublesome along with her new confidence. She became a truant, often skipping school to play games in the arcade, disobeyed the rules often and did things such as ate and drank in class, and became a bully of others herself. While Arisa kept up a confident facade, she was depressed because she was still lonely; she had thought becoming strong would change that, but nothing changed.
Because of this, after confronting and being beaten by Chisato in a fight during their first meeting, Arisa asked Chisato to kill her. However, Chisato told her that Arisa's loneliness was not because of her strength, but because of her personality, and offered Arisa to join the group. Arisa refused at first, claiming she "wasn't good with people", but eventually caved and joined the Yunagi magical girls. Thus Arisa shed her loneliness due to her new friendships, and some of her more rebellious traits due to Chisato. She holds Chisato in high regard because of their meeting.
Arisa during Suzune Magica
Powers, Weapons and Abilities
Arisa has superhuman strength and speed as a result of her wish. She seems mostly in control of her abilities, but sometimes loses control when she becomes emotional; for example, crushing Kyubey's head in her fist out of anger. Chisato comments in her backstory that Arisa is bad at managing her strength and speed, but how bad and how that compares to her in the present is unknown, as the fight is not shown.
She has the ability to greatly power up her attack and speed temporarily, at the cost of burning through a lot of her magic.
- Arisa shares several traits with Kyoko: a hot-headed, abrasive attitude; laziness and disregard for school rules; Arisa even wears a hoodie at one point.
- Arisa shares several similarities with Asuka Langley Soryu from Neon Genesis Evangelion: the hairstyle and hair colour (though Asuka has red instead of pink), hot-headed and abrasive personality, a desire to be strong and not be lonely, and a relationship of some sort with a blue-haired girl with a contrasting personality.
- The kanji for Arisa's last name, 成見, is spelt with the kanji for "forming/changing" and "look/see/sight", respectively. This might refer to how her perspective on life and others changes over the story.
- According to tweets by GAN, Arisa is GAN's favourite design. She was also originally supposed to be the main character; this could explain the focus she gets in the first two volumes.
- "Arisa" could alternatively be read as "Alisa".
- "Alisa" means "great happiness/joy".
- This is pretty ironic, because she is rarely seen being happy.
- "Alisa" means "great happiness/joy".