|Japanese Name||暁美 ほむら (Akemi Homura)|
Homura is first seen by Madoka in a dream of her fighting a monster in a desolate landscape of skyscrapers. The day after the dream, Homura has transferred to Madoka's school where she gives her ominous warnings.
A smart, graceful, athletically-talented girl. Cool if not chilly, her personality even can even be seen in her posture. Her weapon appears to be a bow, the same as Madoka?
She seems to be a magical girl, but there are a lot of mysteries surrounding the way she acts. Her fighting style is also unidentified.
- Ms. Aoki’s Design Check: A blunt girl. I tried to let this shine through in her design. Her distinguishing point is her silky long hair.
- Magical girl outfit: Homura was designed with her personality and combat style in mind. I found her fascinating right away. (Aoki)
- The sharp lines of her upper back and jacket evoke her personality. Overall rather monochromatic. Her black tights have a diamond pattern.
- School uniform: She wears black tights in uniform too, leaving her overall feel just like in her magical girl outfit. She gives off the air of a silent beauty.
- Regardless of her reasons, Homura'a priority is preventing Madoka from becoming a Mahou Shoujo. Since that is not understandable by other Mahou Shoujos or Madoka, she decided to act alone.
- Homura is frequently referred to as "Homerun-chan" amongst fans, due to the similarity of the two names in Japanese.
- The first character for Akemi (暁) means "daybreak", while the second one (美) means beauty.
- Her last name can also be used as a first name.
- Her first name is written in hiragana, which has no special meaning. However, when written in kanji, it can mean:
- inflammation, blaze (炎 or 焔)
- heart on fire (心火)
- village protector (保村)
- She wants to stop Madoka from making a contract with Kyuubey
- She has much knowledge about Mitakihara Middle School.
- Is annoyed when Madoka uses her last name or honorifics instead of the more intimate "Homura".
- She only seems hostile towards Kyuubey until Kyuubey makes contact with Madoka.
- Homura's ability seems to be hasten rather than teleportation, as she is able to act in a split second as seen in episode 5. As there are hints that powers may relate to the form of the wish (e.g. Sayaka's regeneration), this may be a clue to Homura's wish.
- Currently (episode 2) Homura appears to be the antagonist, though may become an ally and/or mentor of Madoka's in the future
- If the theory about witches and magical girls is true (see Speculations and theories), then it is fairly possible that Homura is on the brink of becoming a witch, which could be why Mami wanted to share her Grief Seed with her in episode 2
- She might also wish to prevent Madoka becoming a magical girl because of the risk that she could turn into an overwhelmingly powerful witch.
- She may be a former magical girl who has had her contract revoked.
- Homura glisten.jpg