"I'll definitely save you."
"No matter how many times I have to repeat all of this, I'll protect you!" ~ Homura Akemi in Episode 10.
|Japanese Name||暁美 ほむら (Akemi Homura)|
|Weapon||Shield (storage and timejump device), various mundane weapons like grenades, pipe bombs, pistols, machine guns, bow (since Episode 12)|
Homura is first seen by Madoka in a dream of her fighting a monster in a desolate landscape of skyscrapers. The day after the dream, Homura has transferred to Madoka's school where she gives her ominous warnings.
- 1 Official Info
- 2 Observations
- 3 Magazine Article
- 4 Speculations
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Homura in Oriko Magica
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
- 9 External links
A smart, graceful, athletically-talented girl. Cool if not chilly, her personality even can even be seen in her posture. Her primary ability is to stop time, all her other abilities and attacks seem to come from non-magical items, such as firearms and bombs. Her time manipulation device can also allow her to travel back in time, act as a shield, and seems to act as a limitless storage facility.
She seems to be a magical girl, but there are a lot of mysteries surrounding the way she acts. Her fighting style is also unidentified.
- Ms. Aoki’s Design Check: A blunt girl. I tried to let this shine through in her design. Her distinguishing point is her silky long hair.
- Magical girl outfit: Homura was designed with her personality and combat style in mind. I found her fascinating right away. (Aoki)
- The sharp lines of her upper back and jacket evoke her personality. Overall rather monochromatic. Her black tights have a diamond pattern.
- School uniform: She wears black tights in uniform too, leaving her overall feel just like in her magical girl outfit. She gives off the air of a silent beauty.
- According to the Blu-ray episode 2 voice commentary, Ume Aoki found Homura to be the most difficult to come up with an image color but one of the easier ones for character design.
- Regardless of her reasons, Homura'a priority is preventing Madoka from becoming a Mahou Shoujo. Since that is not understandable by other Mahou Shoujos or Madoka, she decided to act alone.
- Homura is a magical girl from another timeline, as revealed by Kyubey. She knows that Kyubey is behind a sinister plot, and it mostly involves Madoka turning into a magical girl.
- Homura's special ability is revealed to be some kind of time-travel, which explains why she knows so much to the point of knowing exactly when and where certain things will happen. This also may be why she can move at blistering speed.
- Her house has a wall display of documents relating to witches.
- In episode 9, it was revealed that Homura can stop time. However, anyone she touches while the ability is under effect will not be stopped.
- According to an interview in Otona Anime Vol. 20, translated by symbv, here is what Gen Urobuchi said on more of Homura's power: "The weapon that looks like Homura's shield is actually a sand timer. When the flow of the sand is blocked, time is stopped. And when there is no sand on the upper part of the sand timer and then the timer is reverted, one month's worth of time is turned back. But before that stage is reached, only time stopping is possible. This means the special power of Homura is the ability to manipulate one month's time's worth of sand in the sand timer. As for the time passed and then turned back, since it was not the focus in this work I did not think it through very thoroughly. I think you can say that the world split up and became parallel worlds there." In episode 11, we see Homura's sand run out in the middle of her fight with Walpurgisnacht, verifying this limitation of her time stop powers.
- Homura's backstory was revealed in episode 10. She was a transfer student who was recovering from heart disease. Probably due to her lack of confidence, she was targeted by familiars. However, Madoka (who was a Puella Magi at this time) and Mami save her. During Walpurgis Night, Madoka and Mami die. Homura then makes the wish to re-do her meeting with Madoka to prevent her fate.
- Along with stopping time, Homura can also reverse time to before her meeting with Madoka.
- Homura, while initially ditzy and insecure, has become very independent and strong during her time traveling. Her cold nature is from her determination to save Madoka after having failed in her mission to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl several times.
- A previous Madoka was the one to task Homura to prevent Madoka from becoming a Puella Magi.
- In the current timeline, Homura fails to stop Walpurgis Night. However, since Homura somewhat confessed to Madoka to the time traveling, Madoka creates a new wish to make sure that Homura's efforts weren't in vain.
- Homura is the only one that remembers Madoka in the newest timeline. Also, she gains a bow and magical wings. Whether her time-stopping ability remains is unknown.
- In the ending, Homura faces off with many demons in a desert. However, her wings become distorted like the barriers of witches. What happens to her is unknown.
- She wants to stop Madoka from making a contract with Kyubey
- She has much knowledge about Mitakihara Middle School.
- Is visibly upset when Madoka uses her last name or honorifics instead of the more intimate "Homura".
- She was openly pursuing Kyubey until Kyubey made contact with Madoka.
- She appears obsessed with Madoka's happiness and/or survival.
- As of Episode 10, it is shown that Homura used to be a very shy and clumsy girl before she became a Puella Magi. Homura met Madoka and Mami when they were saving Homura from a witch, thus the three became friends. At the very end of that timeline, Madoka is killed and Homura asks Kyubey to turn her into a Puella Magi with her wish being "to meet Madoka again, but this time as the one protecting her, not as the one being protected".
- She appears to live by herself; her residence only has her name on the nameplate, much like Mami's. In episode 10, when she wakes up in the hospital, no-one is there with her, and she seems to have been filling out the school transfer forms on her own.
- She seem to have met Kyubey before, as she refers to him as "Incubator" in Episode 8 shortly after he was shot down by her. She also reveals to "know his true motives".
- Her cold attitude was formed through re-living the same timeline multiple times, with the ending always being that Madoka either turned into a witch or died. When that happens, Homura turns back time to the first day of her arrival again.
- When Mami asks Homura if she has any other power besides bending time in Episode 10, Homura steals guns, swords etc. from a locker. She hides these weapons inside her shield.
- Homura is frequently referred to as "Homerun-chan" amongst Western fans, due to the similarity of the two names in Japanese, however she is frequently referred as "Homuhomu" (ほむほむ) within Japanese community. Homuhomu likely originated from the runes in Episode 3, one of which translates to "Homuhomu".
- "Homuhomu" can be used as a verb as "do Homuhomu" (ほむほむする) which means to caress, console or take care of. The action of "do Homuhomu" is not defined exactly.
- The first character for Akemi (暁) means "daybreak", while the second one (美) means beauty which is a famous letter in girl's name.
- When her full name is written vertically in hiragana (あけみほむら) and with left half covered in certain angle, it could be read as カナメまどか which is Kaname written in katakana and Madoka written in hiragana.
- Her last name can also be used as a first name.
- Her first name is written in hiragana, which has no special meaning. However, when written in kanji, it can mean:
- inflammation, blaze (炎 or 焔)
- heart on fire (心火)
- mass of flame (炎叢)
- village protector (保村)
- Though only 焔, 炎, and 心火 are actually Japanese given names. The name 'Homura' can also be written the following ways as a given name:
- stride approaching happiness (歩向楽)
- head/point of the large village (穂邑)
(*Fun fact: The name "炎子" or Homurako can also be read as "Moeko")
- Some folks in 2ch nicknamed Homura's Residence Homu-home (ほむホーム Homuhōmu) since Homu is a nickname for Homura, and Hōmu is "home" rendered in the Japanese syllabary. It should be noted that "homu" is more often used for dog houses and similar structures, with the English word "home" expressed using "uchi" (うち, which refers to one's own house or household), "ie" (いえ, which can refer to a physical house or a family lineage), or the honorific "otaku" (お宅, which refers to someone else's house or household).
- The Homura of previous timelines is, due to her personality and actions, often referred to as "Moemura" amongst Western fans.
- Apparently there is a rumor on the net that some weapons went "missing" at the JSDF and US military bases in Japan. There is only one official report regarding the missing/stolen weapons. It is not known if the rumors of the
stolenmissing weapons inspired their appearance in the series. Nor is there any evidence indicating that the perpetrator was a time traveling magical girl.
- One fan estimates that Homura used ¥ 1,383,040,300 Yen worth of military weaponry & equipment (that's $17,037,114 USD in today's dollars).
- Homura's appearance in episode 12 (in the new timeline) from the manga is different than her appearance from the anime. In the anime, her clothes and hairstyle remain the same, with Madoka's ribbon as her accessories. However, in the manga, she wears a new dress, changes her hairstyle to two pigtails with the ribbons Madoka gave her.
Homura in Oriko Magica
- Homura appears at Chapter 3, where she appears to only care about Madoka and her friends. Homura warns Mami not to get close to them.
- She has protected Madoka well until Chapter 7. After Madoka told her not to sacrifice others to protect her, however, Homura decided to find Oriko.
- Finally she got where Oriko is and killed Oriko. But since Oriko also killed Madoka by her last shot, Homura can do nothing but reset the timeline.
The cover of Megami magazine featuring Homura with Amy.
A manga illustration of Homura with her shield
Autographed illustration by Ume Aoki
Ume Aoki's Dojinshi "RKGKMDK"
Homura as a regular girl
Homura as a Puella Magi
- Homura pixel mugen.gif
- Hommando sketches fanart.jpg
Hommando: One Woman Army.
- Homura, one man army.jpg
Can one little girl really take down Walpurgis Night?
- Homura crazy.jpg
An accurate depiction of Homura's obsession with Madoka
- Homura witch pantsu.jpg
- Homura God of War.jpg
According with Fans if Madoka is a Goddess/concept of Hope, then Homura is the God of War.
- Hommando means war!.jpg
Hommando brings new meaning to Total War.
- The homu tank of war.jpg
Hommando Tank Commander
- Homura gundam.jpg
Homura is the Mahou Shoujo of the 21st century.
- Puella Magi Solid Snake.jpg
- Mami vs Homura.png
- Fan creation Homura Soul Gem Jewelry.jpg
Fan jewelry creation of Homura's Soul Gem with a mechanical gear inside.
- QB Trick.jpg
- Homunator Come with me if you want to live.jpg
A stranger from the future just saved your life... wait, that sounds familiar.
- Supercute homurachan.jpg
- Call of duty homu.jpg
- Homura coolest character.jpg
- Homura lord of war.jpg
- Homu scopedog.jpg
- Army of homu.jpg
- Moemura with guns.jpg
- Homura with more heavy gun.jpg
- Tea and snacks at homu residence.jpg
Homura redesigns the Homu-cave.
- Meet the time traveler.jpg
Where did Madoka get her healing license?
- Homuknight madoprincess.jpg
- Akemi homura by paksiwirongbuang-d3dgucf.png
Coming this summer: Quantum Homu
- Unlimited Golf Clubs Works.jpg
Homura goes back to her roots.
- Homura happy dreams.jpg
Chiwa Saito (Homura): "The part with the highest number of happy dream is right here!" (actual quote from Blu-ray commentary).
Analyses and Theories
- Hunter-x-hunter-1641920 2.jpg
Comparison of unnamed Nen ability in Hunter x Hunter and Homura's 'teleportation.'
- Homura's weapons 2.jpg
Continuation: Mortar (M29 / L16 / M252 mortar), Tank Truck, Missile (Type "88 Surface to Ship" Anti-warship Guided Missile), Anti Tank Weapon (RPG -7 & M136 AT4), Bunker Buster (GBU-28), Golf Club
How Homura became Homerun-chan (from Thread #7, which also gave birth to the motto "Deny the obvious, uphold the inane")
2ch's reaction (also from Thread #7)