|Japanese Name||暁美 ほむら (Akemi Homura)|
Homura is first seen by Madoka in a dream of her fighting a monster in a desolate landscape of skyscrapers. The day after the dream, Homura has transferred to Madoka's school where she gives her ominous warnings.
A smart, graceful, athletically-talented girl. Cool if not chilly, her personality even can even be seen in her posture. Her weapon appears to be a bow, the same as Madoka?
She seems to be a magical girl, but there are a lot of mysteries surrounding the way she acts. Her fighting style is also unidentified.
- Ms. Aoki’s Design Check: A blunt girl. I tried to let this shine through in her design. Her distinguishing point is her silky long hair.
- Magical girl outfit: Homura was designed with her personality and combat style in mind. I found her fascinating right away. (Aoki)
- The sharp lines of her upper back and jacket evoke her personality. Overall rather monochromatic. Her black tights have a diamond pattern.
- School uniform: She wears black tights in uniform too, leaving her overall feel just like in her magical girl outfit. She gives off the air of a silent beauty.
- Regardless of her reasons, Homura'a priority is preventing Madoka from becoming a Mahou Shoujo. Since that is not understandable by other Mahou Shoujos or Madoka, she decided to act alone.
- Homura is frequently referred to as "Homerun-chan" amongst fans, due to the similarity of the two names in Japanese.
- The first character for Akemi (暁) means "daybreak", while the second one (美) means beauty.
- Her last name can also be used as a first name.
- Her first name is written in hiragana, which has no special meaning. However, when written in kanji, it can mean:
- inflammation, blaze (炎 or 焔)
- heart on fire (心火)
- village protector (保村)
- She wants to stop Madoka from making a contract with Kyuubey
- She has much knowledge about Mitakihara Middle School.
- Is annoyed when Madoka uses her last name or honorifics instead of the more intimate "Homura".
- She only seems hostile towards Kyuubey until Kyuubey makes contact with Madoka.
- Currently (episode 2) Homura appears to be the antagonist, though may become an ally and/or mentor of Madoka's in the future
- If the theory about witches and magical girls is true (see Speculations and theories), then it is fairly possible that Homura is on the brink of becoming a witch, which could be why Mami wanted to share her Grief Seed with her in episode 2
- She might also wish to prevent Madoka becoming a magical girl because of the risk that she could turn into an overwhelmingly powerful witch.
- She may be a former magical girl who has had her contract revoked.
- In episode 5, Homura saves Sayaka from Kyouko by suddenly manifesting as Kyouko's attack is about to land, somehow moving Sayaka out of the path of the attack. The ability seems to involve massive acceleration rather than teleportation, as she is able to act in a split second. As there are hints that a Puella Magi's powers may relate to her wish (e.g. Sayaka's regeneration), this may be a clue as to Homura's true motives.
- Per the image in the gallery below, the pipe layout on the corridor on the corridor wall is completely different after Homura uses her 'teleportation' ability. Assuming this is not a production error, it has been suggested that the ability actually involves magically reconstituting the entire corridor while moving the people in it around.
- Homura glisten.jpg
- Hunter-x-hunter-1641920 2.jpg
Comparison of unnamed Nen ability in Hunter x Hunter and Homura's 'teleportation.'