|Japanese Name||浅古 小巻|
Komaki Asako (浅古 小巻 Asako Komaki) is a supporting character appearing in Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Sadness Prayer. She also appears in Extra Story as a cameo. She is a magical girl that goes to the same school as Oriko Mikuni.
- Age: 15
- Eye colour: Blue
- Hair colour: Blue
- Soul gem: Unknown, possibly the circular blue gem worn over her chest
- Weapon: Axe with a shield
- Wish: "Protect us!"
- Japanese pronoun: Watashi (私)
- Known relatives: Koito Asako (younger sister)
- School: Shirome Middle School
Komaki comes off as a rather upfront, abrasive and aggressive girl towards others. She also has a short-temper and easily becomes angered when insulted or when she/others are subjected to injustice. Because of this she's very prone to starting arguments and getting into fights with her peers, often forcing her friends Akira Namekata and Miyuki Nagatsuki to intervene. Despite acting like a bully, she isn't heartless and has been shown to care about others and express concern for them such as when she worries about Oriko not standing up for herself or when Akira appeared to be sick.
Not much is known of Komaki's home-life.
During a fire at school camp, Komaki made a wish to protect herself and her friends, Akira and Miyuki.
Komaki during Extra Story
Komaki only appears in chapter 2 of Symmetry Diamond, where she and her friends tease Oriko. Oriko then warns her not to keep going out at night, lest she run into trouble. Komaki is not seen in any other chapters of Extra Story.
Presumably Komaki and Kirika never fought or crossed paths in this timeline. Komaki and Oriko never seem to become friends in this timeline, however. It is ambiguous to whether or not Komaki is a magical girl in this timeline; her "going out at night" would suggest she was.
Komaki during Sadness Prayer
During Sadness Prayer Komaki slowly becomes friends with Oriko.
Komaki regularly sneaks out of home at night to hunt witches, claiming she gets stomach pains at night when questioned by her family. Her regular sneaking-out not go unnoticed by her younger sister, Koito, who suspected Komaki had a nightlife, and expressed her concerns to Akira.
During a witch hunt, Komaki got into a fight with Kirika over a grief seed, with Kirika unaware that she was Oriko's friend. Akira, who had followed Komaki to find out what she was up to, ran out in the midst of the fight and got hit by one of Kirika's attacks meant for Komaki; this caused Komaki to fly into a rage. Kirika, already shocked by Akira's death and frightened by Komaki's rage, lashed out in a desperate attack and stabbed Komaki through the head, killing her.
Powers and Abilities
Komaki possesses shielding powers because of her wish. She can create barriers to protect herself or trap her opponents in barriers using her axe.
- She nicknames Kirika "black mantis".
- Since Oriko and Komaki do not share a class, the two usually meet up at break. Akira and Miyuki appear not to hang around when Komaki is with Oriko.
- Komaki's first name, "小巻", means "small book" or "small roll of cloth". The latter would fit thematically with her sister's first name, Koito (小糸), which means "small thread".
- Komaki's last name, "浅古", means "shallow and old" or "superficially old".
- A small picture of Komaki appears on the back of Extra Story.
- Komaki Asako at Pixiv image repository (Japanese)