|Japanese Name||鹿目 まどか (Kaname Madoka)|
- An average eighth-grader, the kind you could find anywhere. Even her bow-wielding magical girl form projects an air of kind friendliness. Her choker bears an impressively-sized red gem.
- Ms. Aoki’s Design Check!: I drew her keeping in mind that as the main character she needs to be average, but also an exceptionally good girl. Hence her puffy, high-placed twin tails. The design and color of her ribbons took a lot of work, but in the end calmed down to something simple.
- Magical girl outfit: Madoka was drawn to be the very image of a magical girl. I added an almost fairytale-ish hints, so hopefully female viewers will be charmed by her as well. (Aoki)
- Full of tiny frills, with ribbons arranged at the neck, waist, and on the shoes. It’s perfectly “cute”, and seemingly unsuited for combat, but…
- School uniform: Designed to convey the classy image of a private girls’ school, while not being -too- normal. Its distinguishing point is the small hole at the nape of the neck. (Aoki)
- Of the heroines shown here, Madoka has the most childish body. Her legs are clad in pure, virginal white over-knee socks.
- Kyuubey, Homura and Mami confirmed that Madoka has great magical potential.
- In the first timeline, Madoka, along with Mami, saved Homura from a familiar. However, upon the end of this timeline, Madoka dies during the fight with Walpurgis Night.
- In a later timeline, Madoka is the one to task Homura to prevent her from becoming a Puella Magi.
- Madoka's fate is sealed to either dying or becoming a witch, with Homura trying to prevent this.
Speculations and Observations
- Madoka's power seems to increase exponentially, within each timeline. First time she was merely ordinary magical girl. In the last timeline she already had enough power to defeat Valpurgis with one shoot then in the witch form she was capable to destroy all earth. She also satisfied all Kyuubey's energy quotas for entire planet. In current timeline Kyuubey is claiming that Madoka's power is comparable to god's. She is even capable to change laws of the universe if she wishes for that. It seems like Kyuubey is even giving her hint what to wish, like telling her that she can revive her friends or change rules of this world, but Madoka is incapable to imagine her power.
This can be related to Homura's wish which is contradictory with Madoka's fate. Since magical girl's wishes must be always fulfilled and fate cannot be changed, it requires to change rules to exit this cycle. And only way to do that is to make a wish.
- Theoretically there is also danger, if Madoka became so powerful and if she still turns into a witch, her power may be enough to destroy all universe besides earth.
- The first character of her last name (鹿) means "deer". The last character (目) means "eye."
- Her last name can also be used as a first name.
- Her last name sounds same as (要) the word means "keystone" or "hub".
- Her first name is written in hiragana, which has no particular meaning. However, when written in kanji, it can mean "round" or "tranquil" (円).
- Madoka has many stuffed animals similar in appearance to Kyuubey in her room.