Madoka Magica Articles
This page serves as an archive for fan-created articles documenting analysis and theories on Madoka Magica. The content below has been roughly ordered by topic. Theories that were proven right have been marked with a green ✔, those that were proven wrong bear a red ✖. All the other theories are unconfirmed, and hence should be considered as nothing more than theories.
We welcome you to submit new articles as you deem necessary.
Articles and Analyses
Plot and Setting
- Walpurgis Night
- Explanations on what is Walpurgis Night (in real-life and in canon), references to it, etc.
- Ending Analysis
- An in-depth analysis of the Ending Animation.
Science and Math
- Madoka Magica and Science
- Random annotations and observations about the references to science in the series.
Intertextuality and Literature
- An analysis of the link between the anime series and the famous tragedy by Goethe.
- Der Steppenwolf
- a short comparison between madoka and Harry Haller, the protagonist of "Der Steppenwolf", a novel by Hermann Hesse.
- John Gabriel Borkman
- An unlikely but interresting analysis of the links between Madoka Magica and Henrik Ibsen's "John Gabriel Borkman".
Theories & Speculations
Plot theories attempt to explain or anticipate underlying structures or parts of the plot.
- ✔ The Global Reset Theory
- Theory stating that the world has been re-created at some point to avoid a fatal outcome.
- ✔ The Time Travel Theory
- Theory according to which one of the characters may be a time traveller going back in time to stop Madoka from becoming a Magical Girl. (Yeah, seriously!)
- ☐ The War Between Good Guys Theory
- Theory suggesting that the witches believe themselves to be the good guys.
- ☐ The Pillar System Theory
- Theory positing that witches serve as the 'goddesses' of multiple realities. Possibly an elaboration of the 'War Between Good Guys Theory' and the 'Witches as Fallen Magical Girls Theory.'
The articles listed below attempt to provide analysis or speculate on the roles and natures of the characters.
- ✖ Name
- Speculations about the meaning, implication, and secret of each character's name
- ☐ Make a Wish
- Speculations in regard to each character's wish
- ☐ Kyuubey is Evil Theory
- Theory foreshadowing Kyuubey as having an evil agenda
- ☐ Mami as a Magical Girl Generator
- Theory positing that Mami was created by Kyuubey as a mechanism to create more magic girls.
- ☐ The Questing Beast Theory
- Theory positing that Kyuubey's design and naming may be related to the Questing Beast of Arthurian Legend.
- ✖ Archer Theory
- Theory positing the Homura is a future version of Madoka.
- ☐ Count Kyouko Theory
- Theory positing that Kyouko's ability is vampiric in nature and allows her to "suck" magical energy out of other Puella Magi.
- ☐ Kyuubey Familiar Theory
- Theory positing that Kyuubey is already Madoka's familiar.
- ✖ Homura Identity Swap Theory
- A non-time-travel/non-reset theory positing that Homura may be Puella Magi who swapped bodies.
- ☐ Puella Magi Don't Age
- Theory positing that Puella Magi don't age based on several evidence provided by Kyouko Sakura.
Animation & Art
The articles below provide analysis or speculation on the visual media of the series
- ☐ Of Butterflies and Spiders
- Speculations pertaining to the visual symbolism of butterflies and spiderwebs.
- ☐ Lord Humungus
- Speculations regarding the presence of Lord Humungus (Mad Max 2) in a guest art following the Ending Animation.
Witches & Puella Magi
The following theories concern the natures of magical girls, witches, and magic, or posit links between them.
- ✔ Witches as Fallen Magical Girls Theory (Proven right in episode 8)
- Theory suggesting that witches are former mahou shoujo who have lost their way.
- ☐ Human Soul and Magic
- Theory regarding the nature of the magic employed by mahou shoujo and witches.
- ✖ Witches as Byproducts of Magical Girls (Proven wrong in episode 8)
- Theory suggesting witches to be a byproduct of a mahou shoujo's magic.
- ☐ Magical Girls as Devil Pacters
- Theory suggesting that the design of mahou shoujo is based on legends and mythology regarding pacts with devils.
- ☐ Magical Powers
- Theory regarding magical powers girls get by forming a contract.