Madoka Magica Portable
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable is a PSP game developed by Namco Bandai. Yusuke Tomizawa (God Eater) and Yoshinao Doi (Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica) are producing the game, while Gen Urobuchi is collaborating on the project's planning and supervising the scenario. SHAFT and Gekidan Inu Curry are providing the illustrations. The game was released on March 15, 2012.
A Special Edition of the game will include the following:
- Figma Kaname Madoka ~School Uniform Ver.~ (Kyubey included)
- Special image recording BD
- Homu Homu handkerchief
- Illustration collection
- Kyubey pouch
- Special clear card
- Limited Edition box
- Special video: I will be pretty happy if I have some cookies.
- Video of VA interviews
- Special gallery from Gekidan Inu Curry
- Illustration gallery by entering password
- Game OST
- Original wallpaper for PS3
- Original wallpaper for PC
- Character introduction gallery
- 1 Gameplay Features
- 2 Gameplay Content
- 3 Game routes
- 4 Interview with the PSP Game producers
- 5 Coverage of PSP Promotional Events
- 6 Mami's Heart Pounding Tiro Finale
- 7 Madoka Kaname iP Application
- 8 Gallery
- 9 See Also
- 10 External links
The official website explains that one of the features will be a "Kyubey Button" that allows the player to take action or choose dialogue as Kyubey. This can be used to convince characters to contract, power them up for battle, turn them into witches, or stop them from turning into witches.
Interestingly, it seems that some of Kyubey's dialogue choices may be comedic in nature. A picture on the website shows the dialogue choices available for Kyubey during the appearance of Charlotte's Grief Seed. One of them is "Wanna go eat hamburgers?"
According to an issue of Dengeki Playstation, the story is also told from Homura's perspective in the Homura route. Action and Dialogue choices can be made with a Homura Button, much like the Kyubey Button.
The bonus disc that comes with the game (a BD in the Special Edition, and a DVD in the standard edition) will have videos, music, comments from voice actresses, PS3 and PC wallpapers, and illustrations locked with passwords that can be found by finishing game routes.
According to the Dengeki PSP Volume 3 and information from official site, there are 2 main values to determine girls' fate.
- Karma value (因果値): This can be changed before she become a magical girl during dialogue. It will determine if she will become a magical girl, and how powerful she will be when she contracts.
- Emotion value (感情値): This will be changed after she becomes a magical girl. A magical girl will be more powerful in battle if this value is higher. But it also means more magic will be consumed, and her soul gem will become dark quicker. Thus it's easier for her to become a witch.
According to Dengeki PlayStation 2012-02, these values can be influenced by the following:
- Making choice from dialogues when some event occurs.
- Using Kyubey's button at a proper time to do the following:
- Encourage (はげます)
- Instigate (あおる)
- Deceive (とぼける)
In Homura's route, the viewer becomes Homura. She also has 3 commands to affect these values:
- Encourage (はげます)
- Deceive (とぼける)
- Release (つき放す)
Besides HP and MP, according to Dengeki_PlayStation_2012-03-29, there are 5 visible attributes for all magical girls:
- [STR] Strength, affects melee attack
- [CON] Concentration, affects range attacks (shooting)
- [VIT] Vitality, affects defense
- [DEX] Dexterity, affects accuracy
- [AGI] Agility, affects evasion rate
They can be strengthened by using items found in a witch's barrier.
Among the VN-like game routes, the fates of the magical girls will include a witch transformation. One of those is Candeloro, Mami's witch form.
According to the January 2012 Dengeki PlayStation, the witch barrier is "a space resembling the magical girl's mental landscape before she became a witch." For Mami this is "a fancy, elegant space just like a tea party out of a picture book. It's a witch barrier befitting Mami, who loves black tea." Among the features in her barrier include a teacup, rainbow bridge, apple trees but with an inverted color of the sky that creates a sense of unease. Familiars as the "projections of the magical girl's heart before she became a witch" are for the lonely Mami, the strangely familiar girls of Madoka and Kyoko.
In Mami's route, Madoka becomes a magical girl. We also see information about Mami's past, extending as far back as her time with her family, before the accident that left Mami an orphan.
In Sayaka's route, it is possible to prevent her from becoming a witch. It is also possible for her to fight Walpurgisnacht with other magical girls. On the other side, the story may also be even more cruel than in the anime.
Kyoko's route details her past with her family and includes her first meeting with Kyubey. Players can see her father and her younger sister in standard anime visuals. She also fights witches with Mami.
Homura can change other girls' fate, and recurit them into her team to fight against Walpurgis Night in Homura's route.
There is another game mode called Mysterious Witch's Barrier. It is a dungeon discovery game. There are some original witches can only be seem in this mode. All magical girls' levels and skills are kept each play. Some original witches can only be seen in this mode. Although strength in this mode won't affect themselves in story mode, some items to enpower magical girls in story mode will be unlocked after dungeons cleared.
Basic Game Flow
When a game started, a map of Mitakihara is shown. You, as Kyubey, can choose a character and talk to her or move her to where a witch appears. You can do such actions 4 times in a day. By making choice while talking to girls, their karma values or emotion values can be manipulated. Magical girls also can be directed to a witch's labyrinth to fight against her, and get grief seeds or other items.
There are some values affect battles:
- HP will decrease when being hit by enemies or from abnormal status. But it can be recovered by using healing magic, or items. It will also be recovered automatically by soul gem.
- MP will decrease when magic is used. It can also be recovered automatically by soul gem
- LV (level). By accumulating EXP, this value will increase and magical girls will be more powerful. They may cast more kinds of magic, too.
- SG (Soul gem). It will get dimmed when used to recover HP or MP. Recovering HP will cost more than MP, and recovering both will cost even more. By using grief seeds, it can be recovered. But since grief seeds are limited, it is important to decide when to use them. No magic (which costs MP) can be used when SG is completely dark.
- Emotion value: The higher this value, the higher emotion compension will be. If this value is high enough, it will be harder to recover SG well.
- Emotion compensation: The magnification of consumption and power when using magic.
Of course, every magic girl will learn many magic skills. By consuming Spell books dropped by enemies and some necessary values, new magic skills can be learned. In order to learn all kinds of magic, it is necessary to run many time loops.
For every route, there is a point which determines whether a magical girl becoming a witch. Although it is possible to prevent this happen by using grief seeds, it is also not bad to let it be because a large amount of emotional energy can be gathered. Also, more karma value can be accumulated by defeating the witch.
In the end of every route, Walpurgis Night is waiting there. She is the most powerful witch, the same as in anime. What the future will be is determined by players. After the route reaches its ending, parameters will be exchanged into karma values so that they will be better magical girls in the next timeline even their levels are reset to 1.
This Google Spreadsheet contains some helpful information.
Mysterious Witch's Barrier
Mysterious Witch's Barrier is under extra menu. There are five barriers. Each can be unlocked after finishing a girl's route. The labyrinth is randomly generated each play. The familiars are mixed.
|Witch's barrier||Floors||Boss||Unlocked by||Reward after clear|
|Joyful barrier (喜悦の結界)||5||Gertrud||Madoka's route||Enhancement items x 5, for story mode only|
|Sufficiency barrier (充足の結界)||9||Charlotte||Mami's route||Enhancement items x 10, for story mode only|
Can combine with last one
|Fool's barrier (愚者の結界)||20||H.N.Elly(at B10)
|Sayaka's route||Enhancement items x 20, for story mode only|
|Impeachment barrier (弾刻の結界)||30||Gisela(B10)
Oktavia von Seckendorff
|Kyoko's route||Enhancement items x 30, for story mode only|
If all are bought, there will be 65 items in the beginning of each route.
|Oblivious barrier (忘却の結界)||50||Patricia(B10)
|Bonus route (might also be unlocked when Homura's route finished plus some unknown conditions)|
- Homura's combination of the following can be used to defeat any boss with relative ease. Used together, it greatly extends Homura's ability to attack many turns without retaliation. It is even possible to change characters during suspended time to make even more powerful strike. Also, the effect of Clockup is separated counted for every character. For example, even after Homura runs out her effect, by switching to Kyoko, it is still effective.
- Suspend Time (時間停止) - Stops time for five turns
- Clockup (クロックアップ) - Party-wide speed boost (Sayaka's Allegro has the same effect, with more MP consumed)
- Clockdown (クロックダウン) - Slows enemies
There are total of six routes (episodes) that are unlocked after certain conditions are met:
- 夢の中で逢った、ような… (As If We Met in a Dream...) —Madoka's Route
- This is the default route player will have to play when starting a new game.
- あなたが側にいてくれるなら (Only If You Are By My Side) —Mami's Route
- Available after finishing Madoka's route.
- 私が願った、奇跡 (The Wish I Prayed For) —Sayaka's Route
- Available after finishing Mami's route without Mami becoming witch.
- 残された最後の希望だったんだ (That Was My Only Hope Left) —Kyoko's Route
- Available after finishing Sayaka's route without Sayaka becoming witch.
- 運命はきっと変えられる (The Destiny Could Be Changed) —Homura's Route
- Available after Mami or Sayaka becoming witches in their own routes or after finishing Kyoko's route.
- 想いは現実を越える (A Wish Can Surpass Reality) —Bonus Route
- Available after finishing Homura's route.
Fan Commentary on Game Routes
Note: The following information has yet to be fully fact checked and may contain some misleading information or inaccuracies. It is full of spoilers about the game.
|Warning, this section contains spoilers.|
The game shows what was Homura doing right after school, before Madoka met Mami and Kyubey in Episode 1 of the Anime:
Homura Route Endings:
Bonus Route: It is only available for play after clearing the Homura route. It parodies events in the game.
Interview with the PSP Game producers
Source: http://hokanko-alt.ldblog.jp/archives/66677411.html. Translation courtesy of symbv from evageeks forum.
Interview with the Producers of the PSP game Yusuke Tomizawa (God Eater Series) [T] and Yoshinao Doi (Nitroplus) [D]
|T - About adapting into game, we raised the idea around half a year ago.
D - It was around the time after Ep.2 of Madoka.
T - When I had a drink with Mr Doi we talked about it and thought it would be interesting. After I saw Ep.3 I started to give serious thought about a game project.
D - Around the time after Ep.4 I met Mr Tomizawa at the Machi Asobi event in Tokushima [symbv: Machi Asobi is the biggest anime event in Shikoku island, held in Tokushima city three times a year.]
T - When I brought up the game project I was told that he had been expecting it.D - I predicted that such ideas may come along. I have the impression that Mr Tomizawa made high quality character-based games like GE or Nanoha. I thought if it was to turn into game it got to be done by Mr Tomizawa.
|富・その時点ではゲームの具体的なジャンルなどは決まっていなかった||T - At that point the exact genre of the game was not decided yet.|
|土・シナリオは虚淵氏が全て監修している||D - The scenarios are all done under supervision by Mr Urobuchi.|
|富・PSPを選んだのはPSPでしか作っていないから、ではなくまどかを見ている人がプレイするゲーム機を考えて||T - The reason why we chose PSP was not because it could only be done in PSP but because we thought what game console is used by the people who watched Madoka.|
|富・ストーリーは、原作をベースに再構築する物になる予定。アニメの視点だけでなく、各キャラの視点やアニメで描かれなかった側面も掘り下げたい||T - We plan to have the story based on a reconstruction of the original anime. Not only from the anime's point of view, we also want to drill into the sides of the points of view of each character which were not depicted in the anime.|
|富・魔法少女だけでなくキュゥべえも物語に関わり、彼視点の選択肢もある||T - Not only the mahou shojo, but Kyubey is also involved in the story and there is also an option to adopt his point of view.|
|土・ゲームだけでも楽しめるが、アニメを見た上でプレイして貰いたい||D - It would be enjoyable to just play the game, but I would like people to watch the anime first before playing the game.|
|T - In Dungeon part, it is a Roguelike game in which the characters and the enemy each take turn to move. Although I cannot disclose the details, I can say that one can enjoy the combat rich in tactics where he can switch between the mahou shoujo and maneuver them so that they are not encircled by the enemies.
D - Mami can use guns for long distance and Sayaka's sword can go for the close combat etc. We also thought about original finishing moves besides Tiro Finale.T - Items like Soul Gems or Grief Seeds are all part of the game.
|富・限定版にfigmaが付くのは自分が欲しいから||T - The reason why a figma is included in the Limited Edition is because I want it.|
|T - The "HomuHomu Handkerchief" in the Limited Edition has the identical design as the one used in the anime scene where Homura folded out a handkerchief and sat on it. I really hope that people can share the feeling of Homura sitting on a handkerchief.
D - HomuHomu is one of the nicknames used between fans. Because of the enthusiasm of Mr Tomizawa, we managed to produce one official merchandise with the name of HomuHomu. [symbv: Reminder of what that scene is like in episode 10.]
|富・より良い物にするべく開発スタッフ一丸となって取り組んで行く 土・企画当初からゲーム化に関わりたいと思いつつなかなか実現できなかったが、強力なスタッフの元でバンダイナムコゲームスとタッグが組めるとあって非常に喜ばしい。是非キュゥべえと契約して魔法少女になり限定版を買って欲しい||T - As we all wanted to make it a really good product all the staff are united and worked together to create this game. D - At the beginning of the project I thought a lot about how the game adaptation should work out but nothing came to fruition. I was so glad that I could team up with the strong staff of Bandai Namco Games. I hope people will contract with Kyubey and become a Mahou Shoujo and buy the Limited Edition.|
Coverage of PSP Promotional Events
On August 28, Bandai Namco Games held a promotional event for the Madoka PSP game at the Chara-Hobby 2011 convention. Game producers Yusuke Tomizawa of Bandai Namco Games and Yoshinao Doi from Nitroplus were present at this event to talk about the development of the game. Anime and game seiyuu Chiwa Saito (Homura Akemi), Kaori Mizuhashi (Mami Tomoe) and Eri Kitamura (Sayaka Miki) also joined to discuss the game and answer questions.
There was another promotion event held on October 10th at Tokushima that also received some coverage.
Translated coverage on the event in the relevant article: Madoka PSP Promotional Event.
Mami's Heart Pounding Tiro Finale
On October 7th, the game's official website revealed that a smartphone app known as マミのドキドキ ティロ・フィナーレ (Mami's Heart-Pounding Tiro Finale) would be released on October 14th to promote the game. On October 11th, a preview video of the app appeared on the website. According to news sources, new content will be revealed on the website depending on how many players play the game and how well they do.
The game itself appears to be a battle between Mami and Charlotte, with Madoka and Sayaka watching in the background. The game is now downloadable in both Apple's App Store and Android market, but only in Japan or with a Japan App Store account.
Shortly after the app was released players unlocked a box illustration for the game on the website.
Touch lower-left circle to control muskets' direction, and press ATTACK button in the lower-right corner to fire. There are 5 platforms on which Mami can stand. To move to another platform, turn left or right and then press JUMP button. Platforms may be damaged by familiars hitting it, and Mami will fall if it is broken. But don't worry, Mami can jump to another platform even if she falls, and broken platform will be rebuilt after a while. The game will be over when either the barrier to protect Madoka and Sayaka gets broken, or Mami's soul gem gets exhausted.
After some shooting, the magic gauge in the lower-middle will get increased. You can fire special attack by pressing the gauge when it reaches some value. The most powerful attack -- Tiro Finale -- can be fired when the gauge reaches the maximum, and all familiars on the screen will be wiped out. There are still other attacks on lower values.
There are 2 modes can be played. In normal mode, the game will end after Charlotte is beaten. In endless mode, Mami gets a grief seed to recover 30 points of her soul gem after the witch defeated, but then the game will start over until you lose.
Originally there are only 2 stages available. In the update released on Mar 2, Homura and Ophelia are also be included in the game. A preview video of the update was added to the official website, and can also be viewed here.
|Stage||Player Character||Boss||Mode||How to open|
|1||Mami||Charlotte||Normal(defeating boss)||Always can be chosen|
|2||Mami||Charlotte||Continuous||Clear stage 1|
|3||Mami||Ophelia||Normal(defeating boss)||Clear stage 1|
|4||Mami||Ophelia||Continuous||Clear stage 3|
|5||Homura||Ophelia||Normal(defeating boss)||Clear stage 3|
|6||Homura||Ophelia||Continuous||Clear stage 5|
|2||Make Mami move and shoot faster|
(Legare vastaria, unknown translation. "Legare" is Italian for "Tie together".)
|3||Stop familiars on screen in a limited time|
(Danza del magic blade, Italian/English combination, means "Dance of the magic blade")
|5||Fire her guns in all directions at once|
(Tiro finale, Final shot)
|8||Wipe out all familiars, and give the witch large damage|
|2||Speed up Homura|
|3||Stop time for a little period|
(Squad supporting weapons)
|5||Fire her bazooka in all directions at once|
|8||Wipe out all familiars and give the witch large damage|
This game comes with some online quests. Some artworks will be revealed when the quests are completed.
|1||Over 500 downloads||Artwork of limited Box (see Website Artwork)|
|2||There are over 600 players who gain over 140,000 points||Wallpapers for mobile phones in various sizes, showing the title screen|
|3||There are over 6000 and 10000 players cleared Ophelia stage.||A new image and another wallpaper for smart phones, with Mami painted on it as an idol singer. See Website Artwork|
Madoka Kaname iP Application
The "Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica iP" & "Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica iP for Android" was released on January 20, 2012. It can be downloaded here or directly here. Short vid of what it looks like it here.
Madoka Kaname will be on stage in the App "iP" series, which utilizes Live2D technology. Her voice (messages) will change depending on the time. She will also do some cute actions by touching or flicking the screen.
In additional to playing with Madoka, there are also 4 functions in this app.
- Twitter: Show twitter about the app.
- Alarm: You can set alarm. Madoka will call you when time is up.
- Schedule: Show data in your schedule.
- Information: Connect to official website.
Merchandise and Advertising
Familiars resembling Madoka and Kyoko
Mami's Heart Pounding Tiro Finale Screenshots
- Crunchyroll article
- Japanese wiki
- Information on Mami's Heart-Pounding Tiro Finale
- Information about Kyubey button
- Information on Homura's role and Bonus disc
- Download of some game screenshots or viewable in this gallery
- Liveplay stream recordings, most recent videos listed first
- Game play Youtube clip
- Fan translation