|Japanese Name||日向 茉莉|
|Age||13 - 14 (estimated)|
Matsuri Hinata (日向 茉莉 Hinata Matsuri) is one of the main characters in Puella Magi Suzune Magica. She is the secondary protagonist of the first two thirds of the story and main protagonist of the final third.
- Height: 147.6 cm
- Weight: 41.3 kg
- Blood type: O
- Eye colour: Green
- Hair colour: Dark green
- Japanese pronoun: Matsuri (マツリ)
- Soul gem: Green oval worn as a hair clip on the left of her forehead.
- Wish: To be able to see, as she was blind in the past.
- Known relatives: Kagari Hinata, her older sister; Tsubaki Mikoto, her deceased surrogate mother; her father and her deceased mother.
- School: Akanegasaki Middle School. She is a first-year student.
Matsuri is a very cheerful and optimistic girl, often thinking positively and trying to make friends with others; she also always attempts to talk things out with people rather than fight them, and often attempts to dissuade her friends from fighting with others; for example, stopping Arisa from beating up people and attempting to stop her from challenging Suzune to a duel to the death.
Matsuri is also very forgiving, as seen with Suzune — who killed many magical girls to prevent the births of witches — and Kagari — who crafted a revenge gambit to make Suzune's life miserable, and was indirectly responsible for the deaths of all the magical girls Suzune killed.
Not much is known of Matsuri's home-life. She had a sister, Kagari Hinata, an unnamed father, and a caretaker named Tsubaki Mikoto. Not much is given on how Matsuri relates to her family before the events of Suzune.
Matsuri used to be blind. It is unknown if she was born blind or how she handled her blindness.
Tsubaki often visited Matsuri's home, taking care of her and Kagari, and often told them stories. Tsubaki disappeared one day (due to becoming a witch), leaving the twins saddened, and Kagari also enraged. When approached by Kyubey after the disappearance of Tsubaki, Matsuri almost immediately wished to be able to see. The three began to search the town for Tsubaki, but failed to find her; however, they did find Suzune, after following the sound of the bell on the pendant that she was wearing - a pendant that originally belonged to Tsubaki. Kagari was confused by Suzune wearing Tsubaki's pendant, and apparently went home sometime after this discovery; Matsuri, however, followed Suzune to where she was hiding in despair near a house, and asked to become friends with her.
At some point after this, Kagari, now a magical girl, confronted Matsuri and erased her memories of Suzune as a part of her revenge gambit. Despite this, Suzune would later transfer into the same school and class that Matsuri attended.
As Matsuri makes no mentions nor allusions to Kagari during the story before volume 3, it can be inferred Kagari also erased herself from Matsuri's memory; the same can be said for memories of Tsubaki. It can also be inferred that Matsuri's father had his memories erased as well.
Matsuri during Suzune Magica
Matsuri's magic is light-elemental and sight-themed, stemming from her wish to see.
Her gauntlets can shine or shoot bright lights at her opponents; she also possesses the ability to search for others, though she states that this ability is best used as support in battle. Matsuri can use this ability to detect invisible people or see through illusions, as used in the battle with Kagari.
Matsuri also appears to have healing powers; the strength of this ability is unknown.
- Matsuri has a charm of a rabbit head named "Bunny-chan".
- She calls Kyubey "Kyu-chan".
- Matsuri's first name is spelt with the kanji for "jasmine", a type of flower. "Matsuri" can also mean a festival or celebration.
- In the Japanese language of flowers, jasmine represents kindness and gracefulness.
- Matsuri's last name, Hinata, means "sunny place".
- According to tweets from GAN:
- Matsuri has a telephone motif. Her hair buns are the handsets, her braids are the code, and the round button on the stomach of her dress is the dial.
- She has gauntlets as weapons because GAN wanted to put in the "Shining Finger" move from Gundam, but having it performed against humans would leave a pretty nasty impression (it's intended to crush the head of targets, after all), so they dropped the idea.
- Matsuri is supposed to be the character the audience can either identify with or support/root for the most in volume 3. This likely refers to how Suzune is anti-heroic and Kagari is the antagonist, with Matsuri being the most traditionally heroic of the three.
- Matsuri speaks in third person in the Japanese text, and is the only Suzune character to do so.
A redesigned Matsuri; note Tsubaki's pendant. From GAN's twitter.
Art of the Hinata twins from GAN's twitter.
Solo Matsuri from this official art.
Art of Matsuri in a swimsuit from GAN's twitter.
Art of Matsuri in a summer outfit GAN's twitter.
- Matsuri Hinata at Pixiv image repository (Japanese)
- Matsuri Hinata at Danbooru image repository (NSFW)