Wings of the Magius
The Wings of the Magius (マギウスの翼 Magius no Tsubasa) are an organization of magical girls from the mobile game Magia Record. They act as the game's main antagonists.
After the group was officially disbanded at the end of Part 1, several of the remaining members regrouped and have been rebranded as Neo-Magius (ネオマギウス).
Operating out of Kamihama City, the Wings of the Magius' stated goal is to "release" magical girls from their fate. They claim the Doppel phenomenon that occurs in Kamihama is proof of this. In order to save magical girls, they protect the Rumors and Witches of Kamihama and try to lure more Witches to the city, disregarding the casualties these methods cause. They also try and put Rumors and Witches together, so that the Witches may prey upon the humans imprisoned by the Rumors. Even the low-ranking members of the organization seem unaware of all the details.
It is eventually revealed that the thing they wish to release magical girls from is the fate of becoming witches.
It is gradually revealed throughout the story that the existence of Rumors and Doppels, and their confinement to Kamihama, come from the powers of the three Magius. Touka has the ability to create Doppels, Nemu has the ability to create Rumors, and Alina has the ability to create barriers, including the one placed around Kamihama that allows Rumors and Doppels to exist within its limits. Witches and Rumors are used to harvest energy, which is in turn added to the Embryo Eve, a massive half-Witch growing beneath Hotel Fendt Hope. The Magius’s master plan is to hatch Embryo Eve into a full Witch when enough energy has been gathered, causing a release of energy massive enough to spread the barrier over Kamihama across the world, thereby allowing all Magical Girls on Earth to summon Doppels instead of turning into Witches. The Magius are aware this will cost millions of human lives, but see this as a necessary sacrifice to save Magical Girls.
The group gets its name from the organization's superiors, the three Magius. The rest of the group claim they act as the Magius's wings. Ranking just below the Magius are Mifuyu and Mami, with the rest of the White Feathers ranking below them and Black Feathers ranking below White Feathers. It is never clearly established how a Magical Girl’s rank is decided, as no one characteristic is clearly shown to designate a Magical Girl for status as a White Feather over a Black Feather. It is shown not to be related to seniority (as Momoko is shown to be a White Feather immediately after joining while longtime member Ikumi remained a Black Feather for the entire duration of her membership), age (as 15-year-old Ryo is a White Feather while 19-year-old Ikumi is a Black Feather) or magical power (as White Feather Mifuyu is established to be weak while Black Feather Shizuku is mentioned during Wings in the Wind to be stronger than most Black Feathers and was sought by Magius specifically because of her teleporting ability). Judging by Momoko and Mami’s quick promotions to White Feather rank, the deciding characteristic may be related to leadership ability, as White Feathers act as organizers to Black Feathers.
The lowest ranking members of the group. Black Feathers, sometimes called Black Wings, are magical girls wearing hooded black cloaks. They are portrayed in the game as generic mook enemies. However there are a few notable members:
Known Black Feathers
- Tsuruno Yui (link) (joins in Arc 1 Chapter 6/Episode 13 (rank never specified in game, shown as Black Feather in anime))
- Sana Futaba (link) (joins in Arc 1 Chapter 6/Episode 13)
- Felicia Mitsuki (link) (joins in Arc 1 Chapter 6/Episode 13)
- Ikumi Makino
- Shizuku Hozumi (joins in Wings in the Wind)
- Yukika Nanase
- Shigure Miyabi
- Hagumu Azumi
- Hotori Yuzuki
- Rion Yuzuki (joins in Otsukimi is After an Elegant Tea Party)
- Kaede Akino (link) (joins during the anime's events)
- Kuroe (link) (joins during the anime’s events)
- Rena Minami (link) (joins in Episode 13)
- Moka Megumi
- Maria Yuki
- Miyuri Yukari
Ranking higher than the Black Feathers, they wear white cloaks. Sometimes they are called White Wings. While White Feathers appear as generic enemies, a few of them appear as named characters.
Known White Feathers
- Mifuyu Azusa (Second-in-Command, occupies as a special place, as she acts as a middle manager between the Magius and the low-level magical girls in the organization)
- San Kagura (Third-in-Command, an instructor at Fendt Hope tasked with teaching new Feathers fighting techniques to conceal their personal magic and identities)
- Holy Mami (link) (joins during the game/anime’s events)
- Tsukuyo Amane
- Tsukasa Amane
- Ryo Midori
- Momoko Togame (link) (joins in Episode 13)
- Kyoko Sakura (link) (infiltrated)
The superiors of the organization. They are revealed to be directly responsible for the strange occurrences within Kamihama; Touka’a magic causes Doppels to be summoned in place of Witch transformations, Nemu is the creator of the Uwasa, and Alina created both the barrier over Kamihama allowing such occurrences and the Small Kyubey seen within the city.
- Alina Gray
- Touka Satomi(link) - Revealed in Arc 1 Chapter 6
- Nemu Hiiragi(link) - Revealed in Arc 1 Chapter 7
The 9 Promises of Magius
The event Whereabouts of the Feather revealed the various rules that members of Magius are bound to.
- Part 1: Let’s be the wings of the future for magical girls
- Part 2: Let’s unite the wings, and try not to carelessly tell anyone what we’re doing.
- Part 3: If you wish to invite someone to join, please discuss it with a white feather first. Invite only those who already know about witches.
- Part 4: We will not reveal our identities, even to each other.
- Part 5: We will tell someone if our work may interfere with our private lives.
- Part 6: We will do our work assignments in groups of two or more.
- Part 7: We will collect Grief Seeds and preserve them as much as possible.
- Part 8: Witches and Uwasa are necessary for liberation. We will protect them.
- Part 9: Keep believing in this 2nd miracle and don’t forget the hope in becoming a feather.
Wings of Magius Gallery
Yukika Nanase borrowing Tsukuyo's robes
Black Feather Battle Sprites
White Feather Battle Sprites
The group was disbanded at the end of Arc 1 of the story. While most of the former members of the Wings of the Magius went off on their own or joined Kamihama Magia Union, others regrouped with the goal of bringing Touka Satomi and Nemu Hiiragi back as their leader and attempted to kidnap them from Kamihama Magia Union before they were thwarted. Originally led by Shigure Miyabi and Hagumu Azumi, it has since been taken over by Himena Aika at the end of Arc 2 Chapter 2.
Their philosophy centers around the former Magius’ (especially Touka) theory of Magical Girl supremacy - a belief that Magical Girls are inherently superior to humans because the strength of their emotions allows them alone to make wishes and combat entropy. They also believe Magical Girls deserve better treatment from humanity, and seek to restructure society so that Magical Girls are above humans, with Neo Magius being above other Magical Girls. Himena and San compare it to becoming a living god.
- Faction name : Neo Magius
- "The girl who aims for the top so no one can oppose to her and the girls who follow her"
- Type : Disciplined and dogmatic
- Goal : Creating a caste system by controlling humans and magical girls
- Atmosphere : Loose at first glance but there is an uneasy mood
- Ideology : Elitism and will forcefully clamp down on those with different ideas
- Internal relationship : A gyaru and submissive subordinates
- Keywords : Club, Dangerous ideology, Planned, Rising from the small group, Concert hall
- Himena Aika (current leader; joins in Arc 2 Chapter 2)
- Alexandra Kurusu (second-in-command; undercover member of Folklore of Zero who leaves in Arc 2 Chapter 8)
- San Kagura (joins in Dependence Blue; former Feathers' instructor at Fendt Hope)
- Miyuri Yukari (joins in Dependence Blue)
Other Known Members
- Hagumu Azumi (founding member)
- Shigure Miyabi (founding member)
- Mitsune Miwa (joins in Dependence Blue)
- Jun Kazari (joins in Dependence Blue; deceased)
- Mitama Yakumo (joins in Arc 2 Chapter 8)
- Kanagi Izumi (joins in Arc 2 Chapter 8)
- Ao Kasane (joins in Arc 2 Chapter 8)
- Shizuka Tokime (joins in Arc 2 Chapter 8)
- Chika Aoba (temporarily; undercover member of Tokime Clan)
- Sunao Toki (temporarily; undercover member of Tokime Clan)
- Nemu Hiiragi and Touka Satomi's Witch names are Pennen Nenemu and Pennen Nolde, respectively. In addition to being named after characters from Kenji Miyazawa's works, "penne" is the plural form of the Latin word "penna", meaning "feather" or, more appropriately, "wing". This references the fact that the Magius (specifically Nemu and Touka, as Alina is not aligned with their goal of salvation) function as the wings, with their followers being the individual feathers that cover or support them.
- Generally speaking, most members of Wings of the Magius are so weak that they wear robe of same style to protect themselves from being identified. However, game players and animation viewers can still identify some of them by their hair styles or part of clothing.