Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movies
"Even if it's a deception, this is the future she wanted." ~ Beginnings movie poster.
"Even the unchangeable destiny shall be shattered." ~ Eternal movie poster.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie (劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ Gekijōban Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika), the anime movie adaptation of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, was first announced on November 10, 2011 in NewType 2011-12. The movies are a trilogy, with the first two being recap of the anime series and the last one being a continuation of the story. On April 1, 2012, the titles for the first two movies were announced at Anime Contents Expo. Both movies are set for an Autumn 2012 release. The third movie was released October 26, 2013.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Beginnings (始まりの物語 Hajimari no Monogatari, lit. "The Beginning Story") is the first of the two recap movies, released on October 6, 2012. It features the song "Luminous" by ClariS as the OP and a new version of "Magia", "Magia [quattro]" by Kalafina as the ED. The movie is is 130 minutes long and covers the first eight episodes of the anime series.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Eternal (永遠の物語 Eien no Monogatari, lit. "The Eternal Story" or "The Everlasting Story") is the second of the recap movies, released on October 13, 2012. It features the theme song "Hikari Furu" by Kalafina. It is 109 minutes long and covers the remaining four episodes of the anime series.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion (叛逆の物語 Hangyaku no Monogatari, lit. "The Rebellion Story") is the third movie and the continuation of the Madoka Magica story, which was released October, 26 2013. It is 120 minutes long.
- Sayaka gets a new transformation sequence that takes place underwater.
- Sayaka's hair pins are also changed during her transformation, they're now in the shape of a fortissimo sign.
- In Italian, fortissimo means very strong, bright, tough/severe. In the music world, fortissimo is signed as ff and indicates that the piece should be played very loudly.
- Sayaka's face is concealed more often.
- Two of Mami's transformation sequences were changed.
- Mami's room became more lovely and has a loft.
- Kyoko has more variety of food in each scene she is in. She is seen eating green tea and strawberry Pocky in addition to her usual chocolate variety.
- The waffle during her binoculars scene has been replaced with a French cream sandwich cookie.
- The taiyaki she eats as she's fighting Sayaka in Episode 5 has been replaced with a similar bear-shaped pastry.
- The blue popsicle she eats at the end of Episode 7 has been replaced with an orange one.
- Snacks are sold around theaters which collaborated by Madoka-Magica and Yaokin who makes "Umai-Bo', that is original of "Ummai-Bo" which Kyoko has.
- SHAFT redraws a lot of the backgrounds.
- A new music score by Yuki Kajiura was produced, replacing a lot of the original music.
- In addition, Mami got a new version of "Credens justitiam" named "Mirai" (meaning "future") by Kalafina. Kalafina also produced a new version of "Magia" named "Magia [quattro]" and a new version of "Sagitta luminis" named "Hikari Furu" (meaning "light falling").
- Homura and Madoka sitting on chairs together in an open field. Chairs have a significance with the Madoka animated franchise.
- Oktavia's barrier has new runes that read, "Desiderantes Affectibus". Summis desiderantes affectibus (Latin: "Desiring with supreme ardor") was a papal bull issued by Pope Innocent VIII on December 5, 1484. The bull was written in response to the request of Dominican Inquisitor Heinrich Kramer for explicit authority to prosecute witchcraft in Germany, after he was refused assistance by the local ecclesiastical authorities. The bull recognized the existence of witches.
- The bull, which synthesized the spiritual and the secular crimes of witchcraft, is often viewed as opening the door for the witchhunts of the early modern period.
- The "LOOK AT ME" posters were re-added to the movie version. They were removed from the Blu-ray version of the TV series.
- When Kyoko's soul gem explodes, there's a hidden frame of the "and I'm home" picture.
- A detailed comparison between the first movie and the series can be viewed here on Tumblr.
- A detailed comparison between the second movie and the series can be viewed here on Tumblr.
- On August 2012, a picture of a magazine article was leaked to the internet, revealing what appears to be a new character for the Madoka movie. It was quickly discovered that the magazine article was actually a fabrication by 2ch to deceive Madoka fans.
- On October 2, 2012 Mezamashi TV aired a feature on the first movie, showing scenes from the movie OP, new music, as well as new backgrounds and transformation sequences. (Clip is unavailable)
- "Luminous" has become a slang term that refers to the cheek rubbing scene from the OP.
- This kind of pose is tagged as (っ´ω`(´ω`c)ﾙﾐﾅｽ on pixiv. Those last 4 characters are the katakana for "Luminous".
- Beginnings and Eternal grossed over 11 billion yen in the box office in total.
 Worldwide premiere
The first two movies are set to open in various cities and countries starting from October 2012. Each country will have their own key visuals.
|CA||Los Angeles||Downtown Independent||October 19-25, December 7-13|
|NY||New York||Big Cinema Manhattan||October 20-22|
|IL||Chicago||Music Box||October 20|
|TX||Houston||Alamo Drafthouse||October 20, October 21|
|CA||San Francisco||New People||October 20, October 21|
|MO||Kansas City||Screenland Crossroads||November 21, December 2|
|NY||Buffalo||The Screening Room Cinema||November 23, November 24|
|OH||Akron||Cleveland Cinemas - Plaza||December 4|
|OH||Cleveland||Cleveland Cinemas - Cedar Lee||December 4|
|WA||Seattle||Grand Illusion||December 9, December 10, December 12, December 17|
|PA||Pittsburgh||The Hollywood Theatre||December 16|
|IN||Indianapolis||Georgetown 14||December 8, December 9|
|PA||Philadelphia||Cinema 16:9||December 1, December 2, December 8|
|FL||Clearwater/Tampa Bay||Clearwater Cinema Café||December 15|
|OH||Columbus||Gateway Film Center||January 12|
|GA||Atlanta||Plaza Atlanta||December 14|
|FL||Fort Lauderdale/Miami||Cinema Paradiso||December 22|
|TX||Dallas||Texas Theatre||December 29|
|AL||Birmingham||The Edge 12||December 20|
|NC||Raleigh||Raleighwood Cinema Grill||December 18|
|OR||Portland||Hollywood Theatre||December 26|
|AZ||Phoenix||Harkins Theatres - Valley Art||January 12, February 9|
|CA||San Francisco||4 Star Theatre||January 18, February 15|
|CO||Denver||FilmCenter-Sie FilmCenter||January 16|
|DC||Washington||The Movies at Montgomery Mall||January 10|
|HI||Honolulu||Doris Duke Theater||February 27, February 28|
|MA||Boston||Brattle Theatre||January 10, January 12|
|NC||Greensboro||Carousel Luxury Cinemas||January 5|
|NV||Las Vegas||Theatre7||January 11|
|NY||New York||Cinema Village||December 26|
|OK||Tulsa||Select Cinemas||January 20|
|NM||Albuquerque||The Guild Cinema||April 19|
|CO||Littleton||Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Littleton||December 18, 2013 (Movie 1+2)|
|HI||Honolulu||Doris Duke Theater||December 26, 2013 (Movie 1+2+3)|
|MO||Kansas City||Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Mainstreet||November 23, 2013 (Movie 1+2)|
|NY||Yonkers||Aramo Drafthouse Cinema Yonkers||November 30, 2013 (Move 1+2)|
|PA||Pittsburg||The Hollywood Theatre||December 5, 2013 (Movie 1+2)|
|TX||Austin||Alamo Drafthouse Austin Slaughter Lane||November 24, 2013 (Movie 1), December 1 (Movie 2)|
|TX||Austin||Alamo Drafthouse Austin Lakeline||November 25, 2013 (Movie 1), December 2, 2013 (Movie 2)|
|TX||Houston||Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Vintage Park||December 7, 2013 (Movie 1+2)|
|TX||San Antonio||Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Westlakes||December 8, 2013 (Movie 1+2)|
|WA||Seattle||Grand Illusion||December 8, 2013 (Movie 1+2)|
- Paris' Grand Rex (October 19)
- Lucca's Cinema Centrale (November 4)
- All the Italian Cinemas that are associated with Dynit (Madoka Magica italian publisher). It will be only the first movie and with the Italian dub. (July 26)
- San Marino Anime Festival (December 8)
|Seoul (Junggu) Dongdaemun||Megabox||October 27 2012|
|Seoul Hapjeong||Lotte Cinema||July 20 2013, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Seoul Nowon||Lotte Cinema||July 20, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Seoul Yeongdeungpo||Lotte Cinema||July 20, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Seoul Gasan||Lotte Cinema||July 21, July 28|
|Seoul Avenuel (a.k.a. Myeongdong)||Lotte Cinema||July 20, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Seoul Gangnam City||Lotte Cinema||July 27, July 28|
|Incheon||Lotte Cinema||July 20 2013, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Daejeon||Lotte Cinema||July 21, July 28|
|Daegu||Lotte Cinema||July 20, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Busan||Lotte Cinema head office||July 20, July 21, July 27, July 28|
|Gwangju||Lotte Cinema||July 21, July 28|
- Vie Show Cinemas Taipei Sun (台北日新威秀影城) (October 20 for the first movie, and October 21 for the second)
- MCL JP Cinema, Causeway Bay (MCL JP 銅鑼灣戲院) (October 20, October 27)
- Singapore Expo Hall 8 (November 10, November 11)
- Sydney's Dendy Newtown (December 9, December 16)
- Melbourne's Cinema Nova (December 9, December 15, December 22, December 23)
- Brisbane's Dendy Portside (December 9)
- Canberra's Dendy Canberra (December 9)
- Bonn, Animotion Film Festival (July 26-28)
|AB||Calgary||Scotiabank Theatre Chinook|
|Edmonton||Cineplex Odeon South Edmonton Cinemas|
|Lethbridge||Galaxy Cinemas Lethbridge|
|BC||Burnaby||SilverCity Metropolis Cinemas|
|Coquitlam||SilverCity Coquitlam Cinemas|
|Richmond||SilverCity Riverport Cinemas|
|Vancouver||Cineplex Odeon International Village|
|Victoria||SilverCity Tillicum Victoria|
|MB||Winnipeg||SilverCity Polo Park Cinemas|
|ON||Ancaster||SilverCity Ancaster Cinemas|
|Niagara Falls||Cineplex Odeon Niagara Square Cinemas|
|Barrie||Galaxy Cinemas Barrie|
|Guelph||Galaxy Cinemas Pergola Commons|
|Kingston||Cineplex Odeon Gardiner's Road|
|London||SilverCity London Cinemas|
|Mississauga||Cineplex Odeon Courtney Park Cinemas|
|North York||SilverCity Fairview Mall Cinemas|
|Oshawa||Cineplex Odeon Oshawa Cinemas|
|Ottawa||SilverCity Gloucester Cinemas|
|Scarborough||Coliseum Scarborough Cinemas|
|Toronto||Cineplex Odeon Queensway Cinemas|
|Toronto||Cineplex Odeon Yonge & Dundas Square|
|Waterloo||Galaxy Cinemas Waterloo|
|Windsor||SilverCity Windsor Cinemas|
|QC||Montreal||Cinéma Banque Scotia Montréal (Scotiabank Theatre Montreal)|
|Quebec City||Cineplex Odeon Ste. Foy|
|SK||Regina||Galaxy Cinemas Regina|
|Saskatoon||Galaxy Cinemas Saskatoon|
|State||City||Theater||Date (1st Round)||Date (2nd Round)|
|Federal District||Mexico City||Cinépolis Fórum Buenavista||May 18, 2013||June 22, 2013|
|Jalisco||Guadalajara||Cinépolis La Gran Plaza||May 25, 2013||None|
|Nuevo León||Monterrey||Cinépolis Sendero Monterrey||June 1, 2013||None|
|Yucatán||Mérida||Cinépolis Las Américas||June 8, 2013||None|
|Chihuahua||Chihuahua||Cinépolis Vallarta||None||June 29, 2013|
|Baja California||Tijuana||Cinépolis Galerías Hipódromo||None||July 13, 2013|
|Veracruz||Xalapa||Cinépolis Plaza Las Américas||None||July 20, 2013|
 Movie posters
 Official art
When Kyoko's soul gem explodes, there's a hidden frame of the "And I'm Home" picture.
Dialogue from earlier episodes.
Eternal Story 46:50~46:53.
 Movie differences
 Madoka Original Art Exhibit
The Beginnings & Eternal exhibition of “Puella Magi Madoka Magica” original drawing reproduction, is open to the public since September 2013 at Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, and Fukuoka in Japan.
Reproduction of original drawings and characters' references from the movie are exhibited at once. In addition, rare items that have never been revealed before such as oversea version of posters are exhibited as well. It displays an estimated 800 pieces of Madoka Magica artworks as well as the transformation sequences of the five magical girls because no magical girl anime will ever be complete without a transformation sequence. Furthermore, a ”Ultimate Madoka” gigantic figure taller than 2 meters is displayed in the exhibit along with a life-size statue of Homura Akemi..
There is a photo booth where visitors can snap a photograph with some of the work pieces from the anime for 500 yen.
Some limited edition cafe menu items are also served during the event such as the Kyubey ampan bun with Madoka tart, and the Charlotte Candy curry. Both limited edition menu items cost 980 yen.
Since August 30, the public site for the exhibition is open to ticket sales. Information about ticket and details for each venue was announced on its official website on and after 30th August.
The Roppongi Hills exhibit will last from October 19 until November 4. After that, the Madoka Magica exhibit will be hitting the road to visit Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo and Fukuoka. There is a 1,500 yen general entrance fee, 1,000 yen high school student fee and a 500 yen middle school student fee.
 See also
- Theater Pamphlet
- Luminous - Movie OP theme.
- Hikari Furu - An assortment of redone tracks used in the movie.