Puella Magi Oriko Magica
"Which would be, an incident that would change her destiny..."
"Which would be, the beginning of a whole another magical girl tale..."
― Various volume covers
Puella Magi Oriko Magica (魔法少女おりこ☆マギカ Mahō Shōjo Oriko Magika) is the second spin-off manga in the Puella Magi franchise. The story was written by Magica Quartet and illustrated by Kuroe Mura, with the two collected volumes published by Houbunsha.
Although the first volume was initially intended to be released on April 12, 2011, the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, as well as the subsequent postponement of the last two episodes of the anime caused Oriko Magica to be postponed to May 12, 2011. The second volume was released on June 13, 2011. Oriko Magica was then licensed in America by Yen Press, with the two volumes released in English on July 2013 and October 2013.
Continuations of the Oriko Magica series are being published in Manga Time Kirara Magica, all illustrated by Kuroe Mura and with collected volumes published by Houbunsha. The collected edition of two of these stories plus one new story, titled Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Extra Story, was released in Japan on September 12, 2013 and will be released English in March, 2015. The first collected volume of New Contract: Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Sadness Prayer was released in Japan on Feburary 12th, 2015.
- Oriko Magica
- Oriko Magica is a seven-chapter, two-volume story taking place in one of the alternate timelines, during the same time period (calendar-wise) as Madoka Magica. It is one of the many timelines that occurs between timelines four and five of the anime.
- Upon her birth as a magical girl, Oriko Mikuni sees a terrifying vision of the future of Mitakihara City, where the ultra-powerful witch Kriemhild Gretchen threatens to destroy the world. Horrified, Oriko vows to stop it and protect her world at any cost. She teams up with another magical girl, Kirika Kure, to do so; and upon seeing another vision of a young girl named Yuma Chitose, directs Kyubey towards contracting with her as a distraction. Meanwhile, Kyoko Sakura encounters Yuma after killing the witch that murdered her family, and reluctantly takes Yuma under her wing; and Mami Tomoe investigates a mysterious case of magical girl killings that been recently occurring.
- Extra Story
- Extra Story is a one-volume, six-chapter book collecting three separate Oriko stories: one prequel and two involving an alternate timeline.
- Noisy Citrine is a two-chapter prequel explaining Kirika's backstory prior to joining Oriko, involving a new character called Erika Mamiya, who also has a small cameo in The Last Agate.
- Symmetry Diamond is a three-chapter story dealing with an alternate timeline of Oriko Magica. Here, instead of seeing Kriemhild Gretchen after becoming a magical girl, Oriko sees Walpurgisnacht, and teams up with Kirika to fight it. Oriko does not predict Yuma at all, and later meets the girl in a park instead. The story expands a little on Yuma's home life, introduces her mother Mako Chitose as a proper character, and later introduces a new magical girl named Sasa Yuuki. Symmetry Diamond also explains what happens to Yuma in timelines where she doesn't contract: she either dies from Mako's abuse or lives a happy life with a new family.
- The Last Agate is a twelve-page short exclusive to Extra Story, as it was not serialized in Kirara Magica. The Last Agate is a continuation of Symmetry Diamond, where Oriko and Kirika prepare to fight Walpurgisnacht.
- Sadness Prayer
- Sadness Prayer is a prequel to Oriko Magica, currently at nine chapters and one volume released. Sadness Prayer is set before the events of Oriko Magica, but after the prologue, where Oriko sees Kriemhild Gretchen and Yuma.
- Sadness Prayer introduces several new characters, namely a new magical girl named Komaki, who previously had a cameo in Symmetry Diamond along with two of her friends. The story also explains how Oriko and Kirika teamed up and explores the duo's characters as well as Oriko's family further than previous installments, where the subjects were only touched upon; explores Oriko's feelings towards killing Madoka for the sake of the world, and involves the reappearance of Sasa Yuuki in later chapters.
- Oriko Magica volume 1
- Oriko, a magical girl with the gift of foresight, knows the fate that awaits all who accept Kyubey’s offer of supernatural powers. But when she is struck with a terrible vision of the future—of the devastation caused by a single, powerful witch—she decides to prevent the girl from becoming a magical girl in the first place. To draw Kyubey away from the girl’s potential, Oriko directs him instead to Yuma, an orphan who is all too eager to gain powers that will enable her to protect herself—powers that will ultimately lead to her own destruction...
- Oriko Magica volume 2
- Oriko is determined to use any means available to her in order to prevent the destruction she has glimpsed in the future. Her companion, Kirika, has been useful in creating a distraction by murdering other Magical Girls, but Oriko recognizes that the time for diversionary tactics has passed—she must target the source directly and eliminate the threat. Little does she realize that her quarry has a protector who is as passionate about keeping the girl alive as Oriko is about seeing her dead. What future ultimately awaits in the eye-opening conclusion of Oriko Magica?!
- Extra Story
- Oriko's ability to see into the future led her to commit bloody acts in her efforts to forestall an even greater tragedy later on. But what if Oriko had met Yuma Chitose before she predicted the end of the world? Would she still have chosen to manipulate the young girl if Yuma had been no stranger, but a dear friend? Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Extra Story explores the might-have-been, and further explores Kirika's devotion to her beloved Oriko.
- See also: Oriko Magica Characters
- Chapter 1: Don't Even Think About Becoming a Magical Girl
- Chapter 2: I'm Not Even Close to Crying
- Chapter 3: Love is an Infinity of Limitations
- Chapter 4: I Do Not Forgive You
- Chapter 5: That Is Why I Am Here
- Chapter 6: Someday Is Not Now
- Chapter 7: To Protect My World
- Noisy Citrine: Chapter 1
- Noisy Citrine: Chapter 2
- Symmetry Diamond: Chapter 1
- Symmetry Diamond: Chapter 2
- Symmetry Diamond: Chapter 3
- The Last Agate
 Front covers
 Manga pages
 Official art
- Official website for Puella Magi Oriko Magica (Japanese)
- Covers for Puella Magi Oriko Magica on official website. (Japanese)
- Official website Puella Magi Oriko Magica from Yen Press.
- Puella Magi Oriko Magica at TV Tropes.
- The first eight pages are available for official preview here. Click on the orange button. (Japanese)
- Raws of Extra Story and Sadness Prayer can be found at this Walpurgischan thread.