|Japanese Name||人見 リナ|
(Note: As all chapters of Sadness Prayer are currently only available in Japanese, most of the info here comes from rough translation and interpretation of events. Thus, some of the information may be incorrect, so please do not treat anything as 100% accurate.)
Rina Hitomi (人見 リナ Hitomi Rina) is a supporting character appearing in Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Sadness Prayer. She is the leader of a group of magical girls hailing from Kazamino City, comprised of Mio, Miyako Saki, and Mai Akane.
- Eye colour: Light purple.
- Hair colour: Light blonde.
- Soul gem: The rectangular gems on the collar of her outfit.
- Japanese pronoun: Watashi (私)
- Wish: "I want my mother's memories of my sister to disappear!"
- Known relatives: Her mother and deceased sister, Mana (マナ).
- School: Unknown.
Rina is shown to be serious and somewhat stoic. However, she is quick to take the blame for bad things that happen, such as the deaths of her companions.
Rina once had a sister, named Mana, who died of unknown causes. Her mother, distraught by this, would constantly sit at a table with Mana's picture and grieve for her, ignoring Rina and even mistaking her for Mana on occasion, saying it's her fault that Mana died.
Eventually, Rina met Kyubey and made her wish to erase Mana from her mother's memories.
During Sadness Prayer
Rina is first seen in the second volume of Sadness Prayer, after the death of Komaki Asako. She and her companions are seen attacking one of Sasa Yuuki's servant witches. However, Sasa escapes by calling for help and pulling off the top of a fake soul gem, making a loud noise and attracting the attention of passersby, forcing Rina and her companions to retreat.
Rina and her companions later find Mio's corpse in a park after she was killed by Kirika Kure in a surprise attack whilst trying to kill Sasa. It is revealed that Rina and her team is hunting down Sasa in revenge for her killing one of their team, Futaba (双葉 Futaba), and that they followed her from Kazamino to Mitakihara City.
Rina and her companions then discuss the killings and the "black magical girl" Kyubey informed them about. However, they are interrupted by the arrival of Kirika, Sasa, and one of Sasa's servant witches; Rina engages Sasa in battle whilst Mai battles Kirika, and Miyako is found by Oriko Mikuni.
During the fight, Mai supposedly kills Kirika and joins Rina, and Miyako, having been manipulated by Oriko, attempts to stop everyone from fighting, telling Rina that Futaba's and Mio's deaths are not her fault. As Rina recalls the wish she made to become a magical girl, she becomes a witch. She then proceeds to kill Miyako before being taken down by Mai and Sasa.
Rina wields a baton-like object as her magical girl weapon.
- "人見" is an obscure term meaning a hole in the curtains of a kabuki theatre that allows someone backstage to see the audience. It can also mean public observation and a feeling of being watched. It is also part of the term referring to shyness and stranger anxiety.
- Individually, the kanji mean "person" and "see"/"look", respectively. Read this way, it can be interpreted as "people watching".
- "Hitomi" can be read as "瞳", meaning "pupil of the eye".
- Rina's wish is very similar to the wish Haruka Kanade made. However, Rina wished for her mother's memories of Mana to vanish, whereas Haruka wished for her sister to disappear, which apparently removed her from others' memories as well. They both have similar reactions to their wishes, regretting them and eventually becoming witches over them.
- They also made wishes involving their older (presumably, in Rina's case) sisters.
- Rina is the only member of her team whose name does not start with M (excluding the late Futaba).