Roberta (ROBERTA) is one of the witches that appeared in Episode 10.
The birdcage witch. Her nature is rage. She continuously stamps her feet inside her cage, directing her rage at those who do not respond to her. This witch is extremely fond of alcohol, and her minions are also easy to burn.
|Type||Birdcage witch's minions|
|Duty||Acting with frivolous indiscretion|
The birdcage witch's minion. His duty is act with frivolous indiscretion. These birds that swarm together are idiotic men. Even though they are total good-for-nothings, they try to attract her attention by swarming around her feet and attempting to woo her. They are nothing more than an object of disgust to the witch.
Trivia and Speculation
- Roberta's name may have been inspired by Roberta Knie, an American soprano well-known for her role as Brunnhilde from Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen.
- The name Gotz may have been derived from Götz von Berlichingen, a German Imperial Knight and mercenary. Goethe wrote a play based on his life.
- In german there is the word "Götze" which means as much as "fake god"
- Some fans think that this is the witch form of Mami Tomoe due to her headlessness, flower motif, and isolation (Roberta being trapped in a birdcage, Mami literally being alone). However, the witch's nature of "rage" combined with her association with frivolity, alcoholism, and disgust all suggest otherwise.
- In Puella Magi Production Note, there is a description about her: A witch who lived for a long time as a magical girl. She is weak, as she was no longer a girl when she became a witch (mid-20s to 30s?). The form she takes in her barrier is how she would've turned out in the future (around 40s). What she desires is life. Enjoys alcohol and books.