Magia Record Manga
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story (マギアレコード 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ外伝) is a manga adaption of the mobile game Magia Record illustrated by Fujino Fuji. It began serialization in the October 2018 issue of Manga Time Kirara Forward on August 24th, 2018. It currently has 5 volumes published.
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story — Another Story (マギアレコード 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ外伝 アナザーストーリー) is an adaption of the “Another Story” route of the game and is illustrated by U35. It began serialization digitally in May of 2019 in Comic Fuz, though its first chapter was also published in print in the April 2020 issue of Manga Time Kirara Forward. It currently has 2 volumes published.
- Volume 1
- Recurring dreams of an unfamiliar girl draw Iroha Tamaki to Kamihama City, the last place she visited before the dreams began. Her only clue is a tiny Kyubey, which she aims to catch in the hope it will provide answers about the dreams and the heartache she feels each time they fade. Still, even as an experienced magical girl, the Witches in this city are far more powerful than anything she's encountered back home. Can Iroha survive in Kamihama long enough to uncover the secrets within? A new story unfolds in this manga adaptation of the mobile game!
- Volume 2
- When a rift forms among the magical girls of Kamihama City, Iroha puts the search for her sister on hold to help the team reconcile. Normally, they're quick to patch things up, but the "Breakup Rule" rumor that's been going around has Rena worried. It could be just another urban legend, but what if it isn't? An apology could spell the end of their friendship—if not her best friend's very life!
- Volume 3
- Unsurprisingly, the rumor of a shrine where parted friends and family can be reunited piques the interest of Iroha, who remains no closer to figuring out what happened to her sister, Ui. Though Yachiyo is reluctant to partner with another magical girl, she shares Iroha's desire to see a loved one and agrees to face the Séance Shrine together. They are not the first to be lured by the rumor's promise—will they be the last?
- Volume 4
- Iroha, still searching for her little sister, gets caught up in the fight against the Rumor of Mizuna District. The ones who guard against this Rumor and the misfortune it calls forth are the Wings of Magius, sisters who call the Doppel effect proof that they can release magical girls from their fate!
- Volume 5
- Iroha's setting into her new life after moving to Mikazuki Manor. Some suspicious mail arrives for her, offering to save the girl captured by the “depths of loneliness”?!
Blurb (Another Story)
- Volume 1
- Mami Tomoe is a veteran magical girl when it comes to fighting the witches of Mitakihara City, but the rise of mysterious entities known as “Rumors” have brought her and her allies to a new battlefield: Kamihama City. Providing new insight into the world of Madoka Magica, this manga adapts the “Another Story” route from the hit mobile game Magia Record!
Differences from the Game
- When the Radio Wave Girl rumor is discussed, at first the captive is shown as a silhouette, but a few pages later it's depicted as AI. This is the first time she's shown in the manga.
- The attempt to extract information from Tsukuyo is quite different from both the game and anime versions. Iroha and Yachiyo find her after going to the radio tower to investigate the new voice, and pursue her. They chase Tsukuyo all the way to the top of the tower, but this turns to her advantage as her ability to manipulate soundwaves also helps with radiowaves. Tsukuyo blasts Iroha off the platform, but Madoka shows up to save her at the last second, accompanied by Homura. Tsukuyo realizes she's outnumbered and flees, but not before declaring that the Radio Wave Girl doesn't want to be rescued. After this, Iroha, Yachiyo, Madoka and Homura meet in a restaurant to talk about Mami and exchange numbers like in the game. However, AI doesn't start sending more messages until later, when Iroha is having dinner with the rest of the Mikazuki Villa. Therefore, the topic of the Radio Wave Girl rumor doesn't come up and the Mitakihara girls don't decide to help with it.
- Since Tsukuyo doesn't reveal Sana's name, Iroha learns it through AI's messages.
- During the memory log scenes, Sana doesn't say that she'd trust somebody who'd come looking for her because they need her, she just trails off.
- The storyline about needing a password to access the urban legend website is dropped; instead the site gets taken down and Rena finds an archived version later, just as Iroha is about to enter Endless Solitude's barrier.
- Right after Iroha meets Sana, a flashback is shown depicting Sana's family life.
- No members of the Wings of Magius appear in Endless Solitude. Therefore, AI doesn't tell Alina that the Magius' plan will not work; this line is modified and given to Iroha instead. Rather than saying that the plan doesn’t account for mankind’s evil impulses, she says that they shouldn’t sacrifice people.
- Alina shows up after Sana kills AI and destroys the Uwasa's barrier. She attacks the Mikazuki Villa members with her cubes but they're destroyed by Madoka, who just arrived to the scene with Homura.
- There's no mention of the website being a trap for the people destroying Uwasas.
- Alina summons both her doppel and the many copies of Teresa she was raising in AI's labyrinth. The main part of the volume ends just as Sana decides to join the fight against her.
- The last thirty pages are dedicated to two omakes. The first one depicts the second chapter of Iroha's personal side story, in which Felicia laughs at the past accomplishments of Tsuruno's family and hurts her feelings, but soon apologizes. The second omake adapts the second and third sections of Kyoko's and Felicia's training event, but with a slightly changed ending in which they go to Banbanzai instead of eating Mitama's food and don't get adjusted. The start of this chapter is told from Mitama's perspective instead of Kyoko's and Felicia's.
- There are some changes that are likely based on the anime version:
- The scene with Ui, Touka and Nemu talking about how having become friends was a miracle is shown near the start of the volume.
- Sana and AI are shown playing a cat-themed videogame together. The chess pieces shown in the anime are also present in the inter-chapter art.
- AI changes her appearance to resemble Sana, though this happens while they're still living together and is merely a change in hairstyle.
Publishers (Another Story)
|Language||Publisher||Country||Release date||Volume 1||Volume 2|
|Japanese||Houbunsha||Japan||March 4th, 2020
June 11th, 2021
|English||Yen Press||United States||August 23, 2022
Image used for Gamer's alternate cover (Source)
Closer look at the back cover's illustration (Source)