|Japanese Name||百江 なぎさ (Momoe Nagisa)|
|Voiced by||Japanese: Kana Asumi|
Nagisa Momoe is a new magical girl that will be introduced in the movie The Rebellion Story. The character page only says she has a child-like appearance and that her wish and role in the movie are unknown.
- Nagisa's given name is written in hiragana, but it can mean "beach" or "seashore" when written in kanji.
- The first character for Momoe (百) means "hundred", but also carries the connotation of "a lot of things". The second character (江) means "inlet" or "bay".
- 百江 (Momoe) could be translated as "Hundred Rivers" and なぎさ (Nagisa) as "Shore".
- Nagisa is voiced by Kana Asumi, who played Yuno in Hidamari Sketch. According to an interview, Madoka Kaname is based on Yuno.
- Nagisa is the Madoka Magica franchise's third cat-girl. The first is Satomi Usagi, and the second is Yuma Chitose.
- The most prominent speculation is that Nagisa is the magical girl form of Charlotte. It has been pointed out that Nagisa's bangs resemble part of Charlotte's forehead in doll form, and her pigtails resemble Charlotte's "ears" in both forms. Nagisa also has a similar color scheme to Charlotte, as she has white hair and wears clothing that is colored brown, red, and pink with polka dots. Finally, Nagisa has unusually colored eyes that are yellow in the center and red at the edge of each iris. This is similar to Charlotte's eyes in her larger form, which are colored blue near the center but then change to yellow and other colors. This theory was supported with the new trailer, showing Nagisa in her magical girl form which looks quite similar to Charlotte.
- This article shows that this speculation is even supported by popcorn.
- Nagisa's white hair and unusually colored eyes have also drawn comparisons to Kyubey and Ultimate Madoka. There are speculations that Nagisa is an Incubator in human form, or some kind of manifestation of Madoka in the new world she created.
- Because the Faust legend references feature somewhat prominently in Madoka Magica, and due to the new ending animation shown at the end of the first movie (the sequence had a pink silhouette holding another, smaller silhouette inside of it - much like a fetus), it is speculated that Nagisa may be the child of Ultimate Madoka. In Goethe's Faust, Gretchen was actually pregnant with Faust's baby and she was forced to murder her baby by drowning it. Evidence to support this theory is fairly obvious - Nagisa's own design (most prominently her face) looking very similar to Madoka's, much like how a child would resemble their parents to an extent.
- Nagisa's last name is similar to Mami Tomoe's last name, as well as the given name of Kyoko Sakura's sister Momo. This might indicate a connection with both characters. Evidence to support this is in the new theatrical release poster, where it depicts Nagisa attempting to hide behind Mami and in return, Mami is seemingly trying to hold her close.
- Nagisa's given name could be a reference to Nagisa Misumi from the magical girl anime Futari wa Pretty Cure. It could also be a reference to Kaworu Nagisa from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion or Nagisa Furukawa from CLANNAD. All are likely for symbolic purposes: the first Nagisa is a magical girl, the second is highly suspected to be travelling through time loops in his canon's own reboot movies, and the third is saved by her love interest causing a similar time loop.
- Because of the reading of her name 百江 (Momoe) = Hundred Rivers and なぎさ (Nagisa) = Shore, it is speculated she could be the convergence of timelines.
- If Nagisa is connected to Madoka, Nagisa's magical girl form resembling a cat could reference Madoka's wish in the first timeline to save a cat.
- However, if Nagisa is associated with the Incubators, her magical girl form resembling a cat could reference the Incubators' cat/ferret-like appearance.
Official Art and Screenshots
By Ume Aoki
- Nagisa short hair.jpg
- Nagisa aka charlotte.jpg
Could Nagisa be Charlotte?
Nagisa also shares some design features with Kyubey.
Comparison of Charlotte from production notes, Mystery Girl and Nagisa
- Nagisa meets yuno.png
Fan art from Pixiv
Fan art from Pixiv
Fan art from Pixiv
- Fusion Dance Nagisa.jpg
It all makes sense now.