One positive consequence of Madoka's extensive merchandising empire is the wealth of behind-the-scene information it made readily available to the public. We fans have available to us, often in translated forms, documentation of every facade and minute details of the creative odyssey that becomes the Madoka franchise. For those of us who chose to sift through it, there exists an unparalleled opportunity to grasp exactly how this modern classic sprung forth from the minds of the Magica Quartet.
- 2008(?)  - Casual conversation between Iwakami and Shinbo about making an original anime magical girl show turns serious.
- October 3, 2008  - Planning Meeting between what would become the Magica Quartet - Shinbo, Iwakami, Gen, Ume; basic details for the series decided and typed up by Gen into the planning memo
- October, 2008  - Aoki Ume works on the character design - 1st draft of the five heroines; Gen creates a Series Proposal based on the planning memo 
- End of 2008  - Composition Meeting between Magica Quartet; Gen's Series Proposal approved with minor adjustments
- 2008 to 2009  - Gen works on the Madoka screenplay Initial Draft at one-episode-a-month pace; temporarily titled "Mahou Shoujo Apocalypse"
- 2009 - Aoki Ume submits Character Design - 2nd Draft, this time adding Kyubey, Hitomi, Kyousuke, and other side characters.
- Early 2010  - Screenplay Meeting between the Magica Quartet to review the Initial Draft; Inu Curry considered for Witch World aesthetics over a few drinks; Official title "Madoka Magica" settled 
- 2010 - Script revision by Gen; Storyboard and composition begins
- April 20, 2010  - SHAFT original anime info leaked to the public
- May 12, 2010 - Settai Meeting (bottom right) between Shinbo, SHAFT employees, and Inu Curry; Witch world and design accepted; key animation begins
- Early 2010 - VA audition; Kajiura attached to the franchise under the recommendation of Gen and Shinbo ; ClariS and Kalafina added by Iwakami via Sony Music; Character design 3rd draft
- Fall, 2010 - Official public announcement
- Late 2010 - Voice recording begins, recorded at weekly basis
- December, 2010 - Preview Videos released
- January, 06, 2011 - Episode 1: As If We Met in a Dream airs
Assembling the Creative Staff
Composition & Storyboard
The Compilation Movies
The Rebellion Story
- Iwakami: The event that could be called as the beginning is probably when I was working with director Akiyuki Shinbo on Hidamari Sketch and Bakemonogatari; he told me that “magical girl series are fun, if there’s any chance, I want to do it once more”.
- IWAKAMI: It's not like you assertively said "I want to do Mahou Shoujo!!". It was with nuance, like "For the mahou shoujo format, there should still be possibilities."
- Gen Urobuchi tweeted that he chose October 3 as Madoka's birthday, because that was the day when the ‘Mahou Shoujo Apocalypse Madoka☆Magica Project’ document was created.
- IWAKAMI: And then we had some talks about talking to Urobuchi-san and Ume-sensei about joining [the project]. I think it took place unexpectedly quickly, so much that I could not remember the process.
- AOKI: The first draft... it was October 2008.
- KUBOTA: No, only once at the very beginning. Urobuchi-san summarized everything into a composition proposal before our next chance to meet.
- UROBUCHI: It went from the end of 2008 to the end of 2009. Since there were other works going in parallel in that period, I went full gear and came up with one episode every month. And I did not talk anything about what would happen later, just saying things like "Just wait for the next issue!". (LOL)
- AOKI: This happened when we had the screenplay meeting. After the meeting that day, we were on our move to a drinking place, and the director said, "I think the witches should not have a conventional witch look. Even if they take a look of geometrical forms, it would be better.".
- IWAKAMI: The name "Madoka Magica" stayed as the temporary title for some time, and as an unofficial name it stayed as the project made its progress. When 2010 came, we had the discussion about its official title.
- Guidebook#Page 102
- Iwakami: Kajiura-san worked with director Shinbo on Le Portrait de Petite Cossette mentioned earlier, and is also Urobuchi-san earnest wish to have her participate after watching Kara no Kyoukai.
- Guidebook#Staff Discussion
- Guidebook#Data in production stage
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Beginning Story
- Megami Magazine 2010-12
- SHAFT's New Anime Plans
- Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica: Production History