|桐野 紗枝 (Kirino Sae)
|Japanese: Atsumi Tanezaki
Sae Kirino is the one of the original characters of the 2017 mobile game Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story: Magia Record.
- Eye colour: Blue
- Hair colour: Black
- Soul Gem: Light blue kite-shaped earring
- Weapon: Venetian Mask
- Wish: "I want everyone at school to know I'm a good girl from a good family!"
- Witch form: Rukh
- Japanese pronoun: In daily life: watashi (わたし)
As a Magical Girl: watashi (私)
- Known relatives: mother (unnamed), father (unnamed), Sayumi Kirino (sister), two younger brothers (unnamed)
- School: Minaminagi Liberty Academy
|Spirit Enhancement Data
A Magical Girl who wears a mask of lies to protect her family. Admired by her classmates as an honor student in both studies and sports, and sociable as well. Despite appearances, she comes from a poor home and is hustling to find her way to riches.
The Doppel of social climbing. Its form is a pawn. The master of this emotion watches her Doppel break through its shell to reinvent itself, and sees her own future within it. Her Doppel is proud of itself for obtaining power without relying on anyone else, and perhaps as a result of this self-confidence, it utterly refuses to accept advice or counsel from any other. This applies to its master as well: it may be cooperative towards her when their opinions happen to align, but it will staunchly refuse to nod its head after even a single irritation. It also behaves mercilessly towards everyone other than its master– even if they may be weak, helpless beings like its former self– and will use its blazing-hot staves to skewer all who disagree with it. As its master watches this, she views it as a show of false bravado, borne out of its fear at the memory of how weak it was in the past.
- The characters of her last name mean "paulownia tree" (桐) and "field" (野) respectively.
- The first character, 桐, is commonly used to refer specifically to Paulownia tomentosa. The Paulownia tree is the mon (emblem) of the Japanese prime minister, and is used as the Government Seal of Japan used by Japan's cabinet and goverment. The character can also mean money, referring to the markings of paulownia on coins.
- P. tomentosa, and the genus as a whole, are sometimes considered invasive species in and outside of Japan.
- The genus was named after Anna Pavlovna (for which it is also called the "princess tree"), a queen consort of The Netherlands who upheld strict royal etiquette there, but never felt at home there, and identified more as a grand duchess than a queen.
- An old aristocratic Chinese custom, which migrated to Japan and Korea, was to plant several paulownia trees at the birth of a daughter in a noble family. The tree would mature as she does, and by the time she was to be wed it would be cut down and carved into gifts for her.
- Legends also claim that the Chinese phoenix, the Fenghuang (a symbol of the union of yin and yang), will only perch on the paulownia, and only when a good ruler is in power. This is why, in the Japanese card game hanafuda, the paulownia suit is directly associated with the Fenghuang card.
- The characters of her first name mean "gossamer" (紗) and "branch" (枝) respectively.
- It is a homonym with Sae (冴える), a verb steam meaning "be accomplished, have mastered".
- Her illustrator is Ragho no Erika, who also did the illustration for Riko Chiaki.
- Her hairstyle and her greed towards money are similar to that of Nabiki Tendo from the anime Ranma 1/2.
- Her Doppel's name, "Rukh", is an Arabic and Persian word for the rook chess piece, meaning "chariot".
- The rook piece resembles a castle, suggesting the idea of wealth, being above others, and solitude. This theme is further represented by paper money being incorporated into the outer side of the Doppel's top and the veil covering its helmet.
- Ironically, the chess piece shell that the main body of her Doppel emerges from is a pawn, not a rook. The Doppel's body itself appears to be a combination of different chess pieces, including wielding lances (knight), the upside-down head's chin resembling a knight helmet that may also resemble a mitre (knight and/or bishop), and the head, its crown, and the collar, ruff, supportasse, or throne back around its neck and behind it (queen).
- In chess there exists the promotion rule, whereby when a pawn reaches the opposing player's end of the board (the eighth rank), the pawn's owner must replace it with a bishop, knight, rook, or queen.
To edit a memoria's details, click on the specific memoria
|That day when we vowed to survive, that day when we decided to change...
What awaited these girls who had passed through many major crossroads and moved forward was What awaited them was a connection with other magical girls, and hope for the future.And then... the inevitable parting.
|I decided to hide my true self and wear a fake mask because I knew,
I knew that I couldn't even get to the starting line as I was. Someday, the mask will become a part of my face and we will become one.Then the pretense will become the truth, and the ideal mask will become the real me.
|In her own form, she speaks matter-of-factly, as if she has reached an understanding.
My heart screams, refusing to make sense of it, and my core grows cold. As I take a shallow breath, she leaves me with prayer-like advice and disappears.The figure leaving seemed much smaller and weaker than before.
|**Unique to Sae Kirino**
I don't know when I first started keeping a household account.
In the midst of my hectic life, running to time sales and working part-time jobs The only thing I was sure of was that I was trying to protect my family.The only thing I know for sure is that I was chasing those red letters to protect my family.
|"Do you know my classmate Kirino-san?
Yeah, she's always smiling and kind and sort of cool. It's no wonder people say she's like a goddess.She's a lady with both literary and military skills... she's far away from me, but I kind of admire her.
|Until now, I've had to deal with difficulties on my own.
I thought it was naive to ask someone to help me. So I never knew,I never knew how reassuring it was to have someone take my hand.
- Recording of Sae's Transformation Video on Youtube (JP)
- Recording of Sae's Magia Video on Youtube (JP)
- Recording of Sae's Doppel Video on Youtube (JP)