"She has shown herself now in order to forget about all the magical girls from this universe." ~ Witch Card
Itzli (ITZLI) is a new witch that appears in Madoka Magica Portable.
The witch of oblivion, with a vengeful nature. A witch who is said to have originally been a magical girl who came from the end of the galaxy. She has shown herself now in order to forget about all the magical girls from this universe.
Madoka Magica Portable
Itzli makes her debut in Madoka Magica Portable. She is the final boss of the Oblivious barrier on floor 50. She doesn't have her own familiars and uses the shadow magical girls of Walpurgisnacht. Her barrier is a grassy landscape just like Quitterie's but has the addition of film reels and a deep hole that she emerges from.
SLOT Puella Magi Madoka Magica 2
Itzli makes a reappearance in SLOT Puella Magi Madoka Magica 2 as a boss Homura can fight. In this game, Itzli's labyrinth looks like a movie theatre yet the area where she is battled is the same as its appearance in Portable. The heads of magical girls such as Mami can be seen in the seats when Homura walks through but they never move and Homura never interacts with them. Instead of using Walpurgisnacht's familiars, in this game she uses Adelbert, Gotz, Sebastian and Mathieu. She even summons Charlotte in her second form to take a hit for her. Homura can either kill Itzli with a strong attack or the other magical girls will arrive to help finish Itzli off.
- Because of the Witch's information, it is suspected that Itzli was a magical girl from another planet, an alien magical girl
- Itztli means obsidian or an obsidian knife in Classical Nahuatl, the Aztec language.
- In Aztec mythology, Itztli (or Itzli) was a god of stone, particularly in the shape of a sacrificial knife. He served Tezcatlipoca as the god of the Second Hour of the Night. He is also considered to be one of the variants of Tezcatlipoca, and associated with Chalchiuhtlicue and Tlazolteotl. Itzli was therefore the god of (human) sacrifice and stone knives.
- Obsidian was a valuable material prior to the use of iron, like flint, it could be fractured to produce sharp blades or arrowheads. Like all glass and some other types of naturally occurring rocks, obsidian breaks with a characteristic conchoidal fracture. It was also polished to create early mirrors such as the ones used in Aztec shamanic rituals
- Her use of other witch's familiars, reels of characters' memories within her barrier, her desire to forget all magical girls, and her identity as the witch of Oblivion ("the fact or condition of not remembering or not being remembered") may indicate that Itzli, and even her magical girl form, possesses memory-related powers
- In SLOT Puella Magi Madoka Magica 2, Kyubey has several lines relating to Itzli:
- Itzli's magic is different from that of any other witch on Earth. Thanks to this, she was never found before Homura entered her barrier.
- Itzli is able to watch people through all the clovers in the world (which explains the clovers in her design and witch kiss)
- Itzli has been gathering power while observing magical girls from all places and eras.
- Itzli can summon other witches and familiars from memories. In SLOT they're shown to look slighty blurry, unlike in Portable.
- Kyubey believes that the reason Itzli has become so strong is thanks to Homura. The exact meaning of this is unclear, though it may be speculated that she has the ability to retain memories/information across Homura's repeated reversal of time. If so, Itzli would then have been able to repeatedly observe the same events across multiple timelines, as well as gain new information from any differences she otherwise would have never witnessed.
- Homura remarks that Kyubey seems to know a lot about a witch that's supposedly never been found before. She also comments that though Itzli may keep watch on the outside world, "at least she never meddles with it."
- In Madoka Magica Portable, Itzli uses shadow magical girls as familiars, identical to those used by Walpurgisnacht
- Upon her death, she launches into the sky like a rocket and explodes
Itzli's name in Runes from Madoka Magica Portable
|忘却の魔女。その性質は復讐。元は銀河の先よりやって来た魔法少女だったといわれる魔女。この宇宙から全ての魔法少女たちを忘れ去るために今、姿を現す。||The witch of oblivion, with a vengeful nature. A witch who is said to have originally been a magical girl who came from the end of the galaxy. She has shown herself now in order to forget about all the magical girls from this universe.|