Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Extra Story
"Which would be, an incident that would change her destiny..."
"Which would be, the beginning of a whole another magical girl tale..."
― Quote from the volume cover
Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Extra Story (魔法少女おりこ☆マギカ［別編］ Mahō Shōjo Oriko Magika [Beppen]) is the third spin-off manga in the Puella Magi franchise, illustrated by Kuroe Mura. It is a collection of short side-stories that solely focus on, expand on, and flesh out the original Puella Magi Oriko Magica characters.
Two of these side-stories, Noisy Citrine and Symmetry Diamond were originally serialized in Manga Time Kirara Magica from August 9, 2012 to October 2012 and February 8, 2013 to June 10, 2013, and were later collected into a single volume along with a third story, The Last Agate, that was not serialized.
Oriko's ability to see into the future led her to commit bloody acts in her efforts to forestall an even greater tragedy later on. But what if Oriko had met Yuma Chitose before she predicted the end of the world? Would she still have chosen to manipulate the young girl if Yuma had been no stranger, but a dear friend? Puella Magi Oriko Magica: Extra Story explores the might-have-been, and further explores Kirika's devotion to her beloved Oriko.
Extra Story collects three separate Oriko Magica side-stories: one prequel and two involving an alternate timeline.
Noisy Citrine is a prequel further explaining Kirika's backstory prior to joining Oriko, involving a new character called Erika Mamiya.
Symmetry Diamond deals with an alternate timeline of Oriko Magica. Here, instead of seeing Kriemhild Gretchen after becoming a magical girl, Oriko sees Walpurgisnacht, and teams up with Kirika to fight it. Oriko does not predict Yuma at all, and later meets the girl in a park instead. The story expands a little on Yuma's home life, introduces her mother Mako Chitose as a proper character, and later introduces a new magical girl named Sasa Yuuki. Symmetry Diamond also explains what happens to Yuma in timelines where she doesn't contract: she either dies from Mako's abuse or lives a happy life with her grandparents.
The Last Agate is a short exclusive to Extra Story, as it was not serialized in Kirara Magica. The Last Agate is a continuation of Symmetry Diamond, where Oriko and Kirika prepare to fight Walpurgisnacht.
- Noisy Citrine: Chapter 1
- Noisy Citrine: Chapter 2
- Symmetry Diamond: Chapter 1
- Symmetry Diamond: Chapter 2
- Symmetry Diamond: Chapter 3
- The Last Agate
Collected volume changes
- There is a colour page of Sasa at the beginning of the volume.
- All other colour pages are turned black and white and have their extra text removed, except for the chapter titles.
- There are several cute little chibi silhouettes of the characters after every chapter, except for Symmetry Diamond chapter 3 and The Last Agate. In order, they are:
- Kirika calling Kyubey "White Ring".
- Magical girl Kirika using Vampire Fang.
- Magical girl Oriko dropping one of her metal spheres.
- Sasa with a demonic grin and tail.
- There is an afterword by Kuroe Mura after The Last Agate. This afterword prominently features a chibi Yuma imagining herself as an older magical girl.
|Language||Publisher||Country||Release date||Front cover|
|Japanese||Houbunsha||Japan||September 12, 2013|
|English||Yen Press||United States||March 24, 2015|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Editora NewPOP||Brazil||2014|
|Thai||Siam Inter Comics||Thailand||2015|
Preorder bonus shared with Homura's Revenge
- The blurb found on the English volume does not contain any commas, and misspells the last instance of Oriko's name as "Orika".
- The side-stories are named after types of gemstones.