Sarah Mirabilis W
The Mirror Witch (MIRRORS) is a witch whose barrier is a stage in the mobile game Magia Record. The Witch's real name was revealed to be Sarah Mirabilis W (SARAH・MIRABILIS・W). Her barrier and the copies her Familiars create are the stage for the PvP feature of the mobile game.
According to the Mirrors Story that plays as players delve deeper into the barrier and the event The Flowers’ Lament, the Mirror Witch was once a Magical Girl from Daito Ward named Mikoto Sena. Mikoto was friends with Hanna Sarasa and had the ability of suggestions, essentially hypnotizing others, including Witches and their Familiars, to do her bidding (although this ability had its own limitations). She later became a Witch and Hanna used the hypnosis ability she had copied from Mikoto to influence the Mirror Witch into staying in Kamihama and wreaking havoc on as many people as possible.
A year before the main events of Magia Record, this Witch was responsible for a string of attacks against Magical Girls through its disguised Familiars. Through its fascination with mirrors, the Witch was lured from wandering around Kamihama City to an abandoned house on the city's east side, where it now permanently resides. Mitama Yakumo was chosen as an overseer of the house and the labyrinth within, charged with the duty of keeping the public away and giving explanations and warnings to Magical Girls who wish to enter.
Its Familiars are capable of duplicating not only the physical appearance of a Magical Girl, but their abilities and memories as well. Some Familiars are copied so faithfully that even the copies are not always aware that they are not the original. The Witch, or its labyrinth, also has the ability to entrance Magical Girls who have entered its labyrinth, instilling within them a desire to continue venturing deeper into its endless expanse at the expense of their own safety. Such victims will act and speak strangely, and will exhibit this hypnosis even when outside of the labyrinth.
The Mirror Witch is capable of connecting its barrier with the barrier of its Familiars that have matured into more copies of their master Witch; effectively, a matured Familiar's barrier becomes an extension of a massive shared barrier spanning many different locations at the same time, and there can be multiple instances of the Mirror Witch within that barrier at once. This includes barriers of other Mirror Witches from other universes as seen in the Chocolatier in Mirror Country event. In Arc 2, the Promised Blood faction use this to their advantage: a copy of the Mirror Witch lives in Kamihama's abandoned prison, and Promised Blood can travel through its barrier into Kamihama without detection.
The Mirror Witch is defined by her reclusiveness. As such, her Labyrinth is made up of many overlapping levels. She's a cowardly Witch whose only desire is to hide from the world, so she does not gather magic by killing people or Magical Girls; rather, she simply absorbs a little bit of magic from Magical Girls who enter her Labyrinth, which she then uses to form more layers in her Labyrinth to protect herself. The more intruders there are, the more complex her Labyrinth becomes.
Minions of the witch of mirrors (I). Their role is to be Bellgirls. One of the house keepers at the Manor of Mirrors. Like its brethren, it loves to entertain guests. When it finds a guest, it rings a bell, and then gives them a big welcoming hug. Its body is made of canvas that can copy the vital information of the guest it embraces. This stolen information is used to make a copy of the guest.
Minions of the witch of mirrors (II). Their role is to guard. A security device in the Manor of Mirrors. In Mirrors, however, everyone is welcome, suspicious or not. It has had its telescopic lens enhanced so that it can film guests in the distance more clearly. Thanks to this enhancement, it can now project a greeting kiss to guests from afar.
Minions of the witch of mirrors (III). Their role is to be copiers. One of the Manor of Mirrors' house keepers. It can create a jelly man inside its body to entertain guests. It can also make high-quality copies of guests, but that takes far more time than just crafting a jelly man.
Minions of the witch of mirrors (IV). Their role is to solicit. A Familiar that waits outside the Manor of Mirrors handing out invitations. When it spots a Magical Girl, it throws a lethal invitation letter at her. That said, it genuinely wants to invite people to the Manor. Some suspect it just believes it is easier to carry the body than actually get a living Magical Girl to go inside.
In Magia Record
- The Mirror Witch plays a central part in the following events:
- An iteration of this Witch is also used by the Promised Blood faction to infiltrate Kamihama City without detection in Arc 2.
- The sign in her labyrinth reads "Welcome to Mirrors".
- Her name, "Sarah・Mirabilis・W", may originate from various sources:
- It may based on "Spira mirabilis" (Latin for "miraculous spiral"), another name for the logarithmic spiral, a self-similar spiral curve that often appears in nature. This alternative name was given to it for its unique mathematical property of being able to retain its shape with each successive curve even as its size increases
- The Latin adjective "mirabilis" is used in the scientific names of many different organisms. Amongst others, the design of the Witch may refer to Nipponites mirabilis, a species of heteromorph ammonites. The shells of homomorph ammonites are also famous for often forming logarithmic spirals.
- Sarah L. Winchester was the owner of the Winchester Mystery House, which she had purposefully designed to be confusing and maze-like in an attempt to stave off vengeful spirits from finding and killing her.
- The initials of her name are also an inversion of those of her human form, Mikoto (M) Sena (S), as if viewed through a mirror.
- Her name is unique among Witches and Doppels in the game for including dots that separate the different names, where other multi-word names (e.g. Oktavia von Seckendorff and Kriemhild Gretchen, however, in the Madoka Magica anime, dots are present) lack them.
- The part of the Famillars' name, "Kirico" appears to be a modification of the Japanese word "kiriko" (切子), meaning "facet" or "face".
- The humanoid figure that appears in one of the Witch's labyrinth backgrounds is a scrapped Familiar. It's concept art shown at the Shaft Art Exhibit reveals that its purpose was to explain how Mirrors worked and that it could speak. This idea was eventually scrapped and the Familiar was replaced with Mitama Yakumo providing the information instead.
Part of the witch's barrier. Notice the Kyubey painting.
Part of the witch's barrier. The Runes read "Welcome to Mirrors".
Mirror Barrier during Chocolatier in Mirror Country Event