Madoka Magica Episode 5: There's No Way I'd Regret This
"After becoming a magical girl, there's no way to go back."
"A contract means you have to give up everything for a single wish." ~ Homura Akemi
|There's No Way I'd Regret This|
|First airing||3 February 2011|
|Episode director||Takahiro Majima|
|Animation Director||Mino Honda|
Sayaka fulfills her contract with Kyubey on the hospital's roof. Her soul gem is forged and she makes her debut as a magical girl. Sayaka visits the newly healed Kamijou at the hospital, where he remains until his legs recover and his miraculous healing is investigated. He apologizes for being so rude to Sayaka earlier. She cheerfully escorts him to the roof, where his parents and the hospital staff present him with his violin. Sayaka, listening as he plays it beautifully, reaches the pinnacle of happiness.
Madoka is deeply worried about Sayaka, and fears that the new magical girl may meet Mami's cruel fate. An optimistic Sayaka reassures Madoka that she's ready for anything. Nevertheless, Madoka arranges a date with Homura in the cafe to ask the veteran to protect Sayaka, or at least befriend and team up with her. Homura doesn't give Madoka the comfort she wanted, and instead declares that she won't make promises she can't keep. Explaining that magical girls have given up everything for their wishes and are beyond any hope of salvation, Homura tells Madoka to give up on Sayaka.
Still worried as ever, Madoka decides to accompany Sayaka on her patrols of the city. Sayaka tracks down a familiar, Anja, and engages it in combat. However, the rival magical girl Kyoko abruptly stops the fight, telling Sayaka that she shouldn't waste her power on a fight with a mere familiar. Kyoko reveals her technique of "farming witches": she lets familiars attack civilians, and waits until they've fed on enough humans to become full-fledged witches with grief seeds for her to harvest. Sayaka is outraged and refuses to tolerate such sinful behavior. Kyoko tries to beat Sayaka into submission, but that proves futile as the rookie heals herself and shrugs off wounds intended to put her out of commission for three months. Kyoko swallows the last bite of her taiyaki and initiates a duel to the death. That is, until Homura suddenly appears to protect Sayaka...
See the Runes of episode 5 page for decryption of the messages written in runes.
|There's No Way I'd Regret This|
|Commentary||Aoi Yuuki |
The commentary started out right away with Yuuki Aoi declaring that she wants to marry Kyouko-tan. The others said that it'd be tough with Kyouko as your wife given how much she eats, but... She's the sort who eats and eats and never gets fat... Now, back to the auditions again. Nonaka was given a script for all the characters and then asked to pick two to play, just like most of them. Except for Yuuki, who was told to do Madoka and one other.
(I wonder if that's partly why they did such a good job casting, given that they got to see more sides of each seiyuu to pick the best role for them...)
Nonaka thought that the anime would be much like the opening, so she decided she wanted to leave the main role to a newer seiyuu, instead trying out for Kyouko and Mami.
Then they talked about how Hitomi is the most wicked girl, though she's not seen as quite as evil by the guys as by the girls. They also start lamenting how the bad girls win and the good girls lose.
Her instructions when acting were to not be too scary. They did pick her for that role because she wouldn't be quite as scary though, given how she has that ultra-cute voice. Yuuki said that her impression was that she couldn't be completely bad because of that voice. (But she's probably biased...)
They then talked about the speech in episode 7. It's very long, so it was difficult to act. Yuuki said she became a fan during the big long story.
(They really talked about a lot of spoiler things. It's kinda hard for me here because I'm trying harder not to spoil the story than they were. It's such a good commentary, you just really have to wait until you finish the story before watching this.)
They then talked about how every once in a while, Madoka gets angry, just a bit. She's so realistic, they keep going over. Madoka has the most sympathy for the other characters, but at the same time she's selfish in that she never fights for herself. Yuuki sayid that Madoka would not really be a good girlfriend; she'd prefer Kyouko as a girlfriend.
Also, they pointed out that Kyubey has "ears coming out of his ears" but what if it's ear hair? Really long ear hair? It's hilarious. Think about the ear hair making Sayaka's soul gem... It's so funny.
The familiar in this episode was voiced by Yuuki Aoi, "Bbbbbuuuuuu bbbbbuuuu bu bu bbuuuuuububuuuuu" heh.
- When standing up to challenge Kyoko, Sayaka says "It's because people like you are around that Mami..." Due to the past history between herself and Mami, Kyoko found that accusation especially annoying.
- While healing, Sayaka is surrounded by musical notes, possibly referring to her wish with Kamijou.
- During the opening sequence, the "liquid" spilling from the top of the screen is now blue (instead of orange). This could be due to Sayaka gaining her powers, as she has a mainly blue color scheme.
- Kyubey doesn't say whether or not he contracted Homura, just that she's irregular. Does he not know or is he just withholding information?
- The song that Kamijou plays on the roof is the Bach/Gounod Ave Maria, arranged for violin.
- The magical girls now have distinctive marks on the nails of their middle fingers.
- The lighting and direction during the creation of Sayaka's soul gem give the impression of a romanticized death scene.
- When Homura refers to Mami's death by decapitation in the cafe scene, she symbolically removes the cover on top of her coffee.
- Kyouko vs sayaka fight.jpg
- Sayaka's soul being ripped QB.jpg
- Kyoko vs sayaka fanart.png
- Live watching threads featuring reactions to the episode as it aired:  and 
- Translations of the witch runes appearing in this episode.
- Revisions made in the BD version of this episode.
- Anja, the familiar Sayaka attacked.
|Previous episode||Current episode||Next episode|
|Episode 4 Both Miracles and Magic Exist||Madoka Magica Episode 5: There's No Way I'd Regret This There's No Way I'd Regret This||Episode 6 This is Definitely Odd|