|Japanese: Misaki Yamada
|Release Date (JP):
|June 26, 2023
Toyo is a character in the 2017 mobile game Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story: Magia Record. She is the successor to Queen Himiko and is based off the real-life Queen Toyo.
|13 (Born in 235 CE)
|Black (with red accents when transformed).
|Yellow Magatama gem on head accessory.
|Magatamas (used on her necklace)
|Powers and Abilities
|Summon (the people she needs will come to her)
|"I want to become like Mama."
|Unnamed parents, unnamed grandparents, Berobero (pet dog), Queen Himiko (predecessor, biological mother), unnamed uncle (Himiko's brother).
|Yamatai, Japan in ancient Wa
|Spirit Enhancement Data
A magical girl gifted with talent for Spirit Arts. Called the "Child of the Cursed God" by those around her, she was shunned as a source of disaster. She has great respect for Himiko, the Queen of Yamatai, and devotes herself to training in Spirit Arts so that she can get closer to her. She is very fond of bamboo shoots.
The Doppel of corrosion. Its form is a giant snake. The master of this emotion is tied down by the ideal image that she desperately attempts to reach, in order to become closer to the mother that she admires, and sees a reflection of this in her Doppel’s form. The Doppel grows from its master’s limbs and is entwined with her nervous system, thus robbing her of the ability to move. When it senses someone experiencing mental pressure with its keen sense of smell, it bites them and begins to corrode them with its venom. None can escape from the venom, but they will forever be free from the pressure that was upon them. Having thus witnessed the very destruction and slaughter that she abhors, its master becomes even more tightly bound by the curse that surrounds her, but the Doppel will never realize this.
Powers and Abilities
This page or section is a stub, and needs expansion. You can help Puella Magi Wiki by expanding it.
- The game spells it トヨ, written in katakana. As these simply represent syllables, they have no meaning.
- Toyo can be spelled two ways. The first way is 臺與, while the second way is 台与.
- Both of the first characters mean "pedestal" or "stand" (臺 and 台)
- Both of the second characters mean "give" or "provide" (與 and 与).
- Using the first kanji, her name could also have been Taiyo or Ichiyo.
- Toyo was also known as Iyo, which can also be spelled two ways. The first way is 壹與, while the second way is 壱与.
- Both of the first characters mean "one" (壹 and 壱)
- Both of the second characters mean "give" or "provide" (與 and 与).
- She is the only main Puella Historia character to be based on a real person.
- Historians disagree as to what Toyo's name actually was (See here or here in the Naming/Reading section).
- She is the tenth playable character to lack a family name. The others being Lil' Kyubey, Kuroe, Chizuru, Kuro (黒), Kuro (くろ), Ebony, Olga, Gunhild and Heruka.
- This is probably because surnames are primarily used to distinguish oneself from another person with the same name. Since Toyo was from the Japanese royal family, she likely did not have any need for a surname.
- She was thirteen when she rose to power.
- Queen Himiko, the queen who Toyo is the successor to, was also seen in Episode 12 of the main anime with a palace burning around her. It is implied Ultimate Madoka saved her.
- This contradicts historical records, however. She died at 78 years old in real life.
- In her introduction at the end of The Rakshasi of Tibet, she says "I am Himiko-sama's... what!?"
- Her artist is GAN, the illustrator of Suzune Magica. According to this tweet, he was given more restrictive instructions by F4Samurai given the slightly suggestive nature of most of his designs.
- He also illustrated the design for Queen Himiko despite no one asking him to. f4samurai used his design for Queen Himiko anyways, adding only the veil that covers her face.
- Omononushi is a deity associated with Mount Miwa. An episode recorded in the Shoki concerning Emperor Yūryaku relates that the emperor, wishing to see the physical form of the god of Mount Miwa with his own eyes, commanded a retainer named Chiisakobe no Sugaru to fetch the deity. Sugaru went up the mountain and captured a large snake, which he presented to the emperor. However, as Yūryaku neglected to ritually purify himself beforehand, the serpent made thunderous noise (or summoned thunder) and its eyeballs flashed. The emperor fled for fear of the snake and ordered it to be returned to Mount Miwa.
- 'Magatsu' simply means 'calamity'.
- Her Doppel could also be based in the Yamata no Orochi or Orochi, an eight headed snake killed by the japanese god Susanoo.
- Despite being based on the Yamato no Orochi, Toyo's Doppel has thirteen snake heads instead of eight heads.
Toyo's mother, Queen Himiko (Source)
To edit a memoria's details, click on the specific memoria
|**Unique to Toyo**
Because I've never seen anything like it, because it's so out of the ordinary...
If you're evasive about something like that... if you're anxious or if you're sad Never underestimate the value of being here.I believe that everyone was born with a blessing.
|As if guided by something, she had begun her career in the Spirit Arts before she realized it.
And, as if following her destiny, she honee her talents and rose to prominence... Forgetting to eat or sleep, she simply repeated her training day after day...But, strangely enough, there was no loneliness there...
|A place where glittering light dances stretches out beyond the horizon.
I'll take her there before the sun goes down...she deserves it... Even if you can't run well, I won't leave you behind, so let's go together.It must be wonderful there...because it makes everyone shine beautifully.
|When was it that... she told me she would show me fireflies filling the night sky!
I thought it was just an idle joke to cheer me up But Kaka-sama made good on her promise with everything she had left...Hey, Kaka-sama... I'm doing well even on my own.
|When this child was a baby, I held her once in my arms.
When this child was able to stand, I put her to sleep on my lap once. I was not a good mother then, and I am not a good mother now...I can't even pet her head properly because I'm afraid I'll break it.
|Even if she is called the child of a haunted god and is avoided by those around her...
A girl who, despite the great difficulties she faces, will not be defeated. She will continue alone on her mother's pathto prove that her existence is celebrated and that she was born for all to see.
|Magical girls who try to resist their fate end up in sorrow.
The witch breeds sadness and paints over the history that has seeped into it. Breaking the chain of sorrow is the legend that connects hope to the future.When the despair engraved in history is connected to the present, hope is carried to the future.
- Recording of Toyo's Transformation Video on Youtube (JP)
- Recording of Toyo's Magia Video on Youtube (JP)
- Recording of Toyo's Doppel Video on Youtube (JP)